A/Prof. Edmund Chiong graduated with the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 1995. He obtained postgraduate qualifications (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons In Ireland) in Surgery (in 2000) and completed of his Urology specialist training in Singapore. A/Prof. Chiong subsequently completed a 2-year clinical fellowship program in Urologic Oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, USA. He is also certified by the Society of Urologic Oncology, USA. A/Prof. Chiong’s subspecialty interests include managing and performing surgery for prostate cancers, bladder cancers, kidney cancers, testes cancers, penile cancers, and performing DaVinci robotic surgery. He started the Prostate Cancer Cryotherapy service in NUH in 2011. A/Prof. Chiong also manages general urologic diseases and is a kidney transplant surgeon with the Ministry of Health’s renal transplantation team. Apart from clinical practice, A/Prof. Chiong is also actively involved in both clinical and laboratory research. His research interests include investigating immunotherapy, gene therapy and targeted therapy for bladder cancer, and diagnostic modalities and new therapies for urologic malignancies. He has minor interests in investigating urinary tract infections, and medical device innovation. He is an investigator in a number of grant-funded, clinical and basic science research projects. He was conferred a PhD (NUS) for his thesis on targeted therapy for bladder cancer. He also runs a number of clinical trials in bladder and prostate cancer. A/Prof. Chiong has received more than 30 academic and fellowship awards, granted 2 patents for novel medical devices, authored or co-authored a number of papers in peer-reviewed journals, and have presented more than 120 abstracts at regional or international scientific meetings. He is also a reviewer for many leading international urology and cancer journals. A/Prof. Chiong is currently the Immediate Past President of the Singapore Urological Association (2016-2018), Vice Chairman of the Chapter of Urologists (College of Surgeons), Academy of Medicine, Singapore, and the Chairman of the Exit Examinations Committee for Urology, Residency Advisory Committee / Joint Committee on Specialist Training (JCST), Ministry of Health, Singapore. He is also the National Representative for Singapore, in the Asia Pacific Society of Uro-Oncology, and a member of the American Urological Association and the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (Singapore), PhD, FRCSEd, FRCSI, FAMS (Urology)
- Urologic oncology
- Robotic surgery
- High-Dose Rate Brachytherapy for prostate cancers
- General Urology
Awards and Honours (Selected)
- NUH Young Doctor Merit Award at the 7th NUS–NUH Annual Scientific Meeting 2003
- Best Poster Award at the National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Congress 2004
- Best Clinical Podium Award & Best Basic Science Award at the Urofair (Singapore Urological Association Annual Scientific Meeting) 2005
- NHG Doctor Award at the Combined Scientific Meeting (Singapore) 2005
- Best NHG Oral Presentation Award at the Combined Scientific Meeting (Singapore) 2005
- Best Clinical Podium Award at the Urofair (Singapore Urological Association Annual Scientific Meeting) 2006
- Best Oral Presentation Award at Pitch for Funds, NLAM (NUS), 2006
- Exxon Mobil Research Fellowship For Clinicians Award 2007
- Health Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) Award 2007-2008, awarded by the Ministry of Health, Singapore
- Medical Research Fellowship award 2008-2009, awarded by the National Medical Research Council, Singapore
- ASCO Cancer Foundation Merit Award at the ASCO 2009 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium (USA)
- Young Investigator Merit Award & Best Poster Award at the National Healthcare Group 8th Annual Scientific Congress 2009
- Best Poster Award at the European Association of Urology Congress 2010 (Spain)
- Best Poster Award at the 10th Asian Congress of Urology of the Urological Association of Asia 2010 (Taiwan)
- Best Video Presentation Award at the Urofair 2012 (Singapore)
- Urological Association of Asia (UAA) Youth Section Fellowship Award 2012
- 17th Yahya Cohen Memorial Lectureship Award 2012, College of Surgeons, Academy of Medicine, Singapore (Singapore)
- Reviewer Recognition Award, Singapore Medical Journal 2012 (Singapore)
- Reviewer Recognition Award, Singapore Medical Journal 2013 (Singapore)
- Annals Gold Reviewer Award 2013, Annals Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- Best Oral Presentation Award at the 2nd National Kidney Foundation (NKF) Scientific Meeting 2014 (Singapore)
- MOE Innergy (Group) Award (Silver) 2015
- Best Surgical Oncology Poster Award, 3rd NCIS Annual Research Meeting (NCAM) 2016 (Singapore)
Selected Recent Publications
- Wang Z, Lim YK, Lim HCC, Chan YH, Ngiam N, Nee Mani LR, Esuvaranathan K, Ng CF, Teoh J, Chan E, Mahendran R, Chiong E. The Role of Vitamin D Receptor Polymorphisms in Predicting Response to Therapy in Nonmuscle Invasive Bladder Carcinoma. J Urol. 2018 May 29.
- Szmulewitz RZ, Peer CJ, Ibraheem A, Martinez E, Kozloff M, Carthon B, Harvey RD, Fishkin P, Yong WP, Chiong E, Nabhan C, Karrison T, Figg WD, Stadler WM, Ratain MJ. Prospective International Randomized Phase II Study of Low-Dose Abiraterone With Food Versus Standard Dose Abiraterone In Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2018 May 10;36(14):1389-1395.
- Tan LGL, Tan YK, Tai BC, Tan KML, Gauhar V, Tiong HY, Hawkins RCW, Thamboo TP, Hong FSK, Chiong E. Prospective validation of %p2PSA and the Prostate Health Index, in prostate cancer detection in initial prostate biopsies of Asian men, with total PSA 4–10 ng/ml. Asian Journal of Andrology 2017 May-Jun;19(3):286-290.
- Co-delivery of peptide-modified cisplatin and doxorubicin via mucoadhesive nanocapsules for potential synergistic intravesical chemotherapy of non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Lu S, Xu L, Kang ET, Mahendran R, Chiong E, Neoh KG. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2016 Jan 15;84:103-115.
- Mucoadhesive Polyacrylamide Nanogel as a Potential Hydrophobic Drug Carrier for Intravesical Bladder Cancer Therapy. Lu SJ, Neoh KG, Kang ET, Mahendran R, Chiong E. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2015 May 25;72:57-68.
- Functionalized Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles with Mucoadhesive and Sustained Drug Release Properties for Potential Bladder Cancer Therapy. Zhang Q, Neoh KG, Xu LQ, Lu SJ, Kang ET, Mahendran R, Chiong E. Langmuir 2014 Jun 3;30(21):6151-61.
- Management of prostate cancer in Asia: resource-stratified guidelines from the Asian Oncology Summit 2013. Williams S, Chiong E (Co-1st author), Lojanapiwat B, Umbas R, Akaza H. Lancet Oncology 2013 Nov;14(12):e524-34.
- Guidelines on Management of Prostate Cancer. Sim HG, Lim KHC, Tay MH, Chong KT, Chiong E. Annals Academy of Medicine, Singapore 2013 Apr;42(4):190-9.
- Management of Kidney Cancer in Asia: Consensus Statement from the Asian Oncology Summit 2012. Chiong E, Tay MH, Tan MH, Kumar S, Sim HG, Teh BT, Umbas R, Chau NM. Lancet Oncology 2012 Nov;13(11):e482-91.
- Effects of mTOR Inhibitor Everolimus (RAD001) on Bladder Cancer Cells. Chiong E, Lee I, Dadbin A, Sabichi AL, Harris L, Urbauer D, McConkey D, Dickstein RJ, Cheng T, Grossman HB. Clin Cancer Res. 2011 May 1; 17(9):2863-73.
- NRAMP1 and hGPX1 Gene Polymorphism and Response to Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Therapy for Bladder Cancer. Chiong E, Kesavan A, Mahendran R, Chan YH, Sng JH, Lim YK, Kamaraj R, Tan TM, Esuvaranathan K. Eur Urol. 2011;59(3):430-7.
- Role of cytoreductive nephrectomy in renal cell carcinoma. Chiong E, Wood CG, Margulis V. Future Oncol. 2009 Aug;5(6):859-69.
- Predictive Value Of p53 And pRb Expression in Superficial Bladder Cancer Patients Treated with BCG And Interferon Alpha. Esuvaranathan K, Chiong E, Thamboo TP, Chan YH, Kamaraj R, Mahendran R, Teh M. Cancer 2007; 109(6):1097-1105.