Group Chief, Physician Leadership and Organisation Development Office, National University Health System (NUHS)
Deputy Director (Research), National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Senior Consultant, Department of Haematology-Oncology, NCIS
Director, Investigational Medicine Unit, NUHS
Deputy Director, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, NUS
Adjunct Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Medicine, NUS
Adj Prof Goh received his undergraduate medical education at the National University of Singapore, and joined the Department of Hematology-Oncology, NUH where he completed fellowship in medical oncology, and completed a National Medical Research Council fellowship in clinical pharmacology and phase I clinical trials at the University of Chicago.
Since then he has established himself as a leading clinician scientist in clinical pharmacology and cancer drug development, and currently serves on several institutional and national research portfolios. Upon his return from Chicago, he has contributed much to the development of a clinical trial research infrastructure at the NCIS, one of the largest clinical research groups in Singapore, and chaired the Cancer Therapeutics Research Group, an Asia Pacific cancer research group. He is principal investigator of the Experimental therapeutics group at the Cancer Science Institute, Singapore focused on evaluating novel treatments for cancer. As a clinician, he is well established in the fields of head and neck/lung cancer.
As a senior clinician and scientist, he has mentored many clinical oncology and pharmacology fellows, and has been awarded senior clinician scientist from the Biomedical Research Council and the National Medical Research Council since 2005. In addition, he has been competitive in being awarded research grants as principal investigator of both individual project grants and infrastructure grants.
Beyond cancer therapeutics, he is also widely published in pharmacogenetics, studying how human genetics affect drug response. Internationally, as a key opinion leader, he has served on advisory boards of several pharmaceutical companies advising on drug development of very novel drugs, and has served on editorial boards of important journals like the Journal of Clinical Oncology and Annals of Oncology.
As a responsible member of clinical research, he has also espoused principles of ethics, and served for several terms as Chairman of the Domain Specific Research Board.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (S'pore), MRCP (UK), MMed (Int Med), FAMS, Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh)
- Lung Cancer
- Head & Neck Cancer
- Phase I Clinical Trials
Selected Publications (out of 166)
- Goh BC, Ratain MJ, Smith R, Bertucci D, Mani S, Vogelzang NJ, Schilsky RL, Hutchison M, Smith M, Averbuch S, Douglass E. Phase I study of ZD9331 using a 5-day short infusion schedule. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:1476-1484
- Boon-Cher Goh, Soo-Chin Lee, Ling-Zhi Wang, Lu Fan, Jia-Yi Guo, Jatinder Lamba, Erin Schuetz, Robert Lim, Hong-Liang Lim, Ai-Bee Ong, How-Sung Lee.Explaining inter-individual variability of docetaxel pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in Asians through phenotyping and genotyping strategies. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:3683-3690.
- Wen-Son Hsieh, Ross Soo, Bee-Keow Peh,Thomas Loh, Difeng Dong, Donny Soh, Lim-Soon Wong, Simon Green, Judy Chiao, Chun-Ying Cui, Yoke-Fong Lai, Soo-Chin Lee, Benjamin Mow, Richie Soong, Manuel Salto-Tellez, Boon-Cher Goh. Pharmacodynamic effects of seliciclib, an orally administered cell cycle modulator, in undifferentiated nasopharyngeal cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2009;15(4):1435-42.
- Chiung-Ing Wong, Tong-San Koh, Ross Soo, Septian Hartono, Choon-Hua Thng, Evelyn McKeegan, Wei-Peng Yong, Chien-Shing Chen, Soo-Chin Lee, John Wong, Robert Lim, Norita Sukri, Siew-Eng Lim, Ai-Bee Ong, Joyce Steinberg, Neeraj Gupta, Rajendra Pradhan, Rod Humerickhouse, Boon-Cher Goh. Phase I and biomarker study of ABT-869, a multiple receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with refractory solid malignancies. J Clin Oncol 2009;27(28):4718-4726.
- YP Yong, BC Goh, RA Soo, HC Toh, K Ethirajulu, J Wood, V Novotny-Diermayr, SC Lee, WL Yeo, D Chan, D Lim, E Seah, R Lim, J Zhu. Phase I and pharmacodynamic study of an orally administered novel inhibitor of histone deacetylases, SB939, in patients with refractory solid malignancies. Ann Oncol 2011;22(11):2516-22.
- W Yeo, Chung HC, Chan SL, Wang LZ, Lim R, Picus J, Boyer M, Mo FKF, Koh J, Rha SY, Hui EP, Jeung HC, Roh JK, Yu SC, To KF, Tao Q, Ma BB, Chan AW, Tong JH, Erlichman C, Chan AT, Goh BC. Epigenetic therapy using belinostat for patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: A multicenter phase I/II study with biomarker and pharmacokinetic analysis of the Mayo Phase 2 Consortium (P2C) and the Cancer Therapeutics Research Group (CTRG). J Clin Oncol 2012 Sep 20;30(27):3361-7
- Lin DC, Meng X, Hazawa M, Nagata Y, Varela AM, Xu L, Sato Y, Liu LZ, Ding LW, Sharma A, Goh BC, Lee SC, Petersson BF, Yu FG, Macary P, Oo MZ, Ha CS, Yang H, Ogawa S, Loh KS, Koeffler HP. The genomic landscape of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Nat Genet 2014;46(8):866-71.
- Wong AL, Soo RA, Tan DS, Lee SC, Lim JS, Marban PC, Kong LR, Lee YJ, Wang LZ, Thuya WL, Soong R,Yee MQ, Chin TM, Cordero MT, Asuncion BR, Pang B, Pervaiz S, Hirpara JL, Sinha A, Xu WW, Yuasa M, Tsunoda T, Motoyama M, Yamauchi T, Goh BC. Phase I and biomarker study of a novel inhibitor of STAT3 phophorylation, OPB-51602 in patients with refractory solid cancers. Ann Oncol 2015;26(5):998-1005.
- Syn N, Wang L, Sethi G, Thiery JP, Goh BC. Exosome-Mediated Metastasis: From Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition to Escape from Immunosurveillance. Trends in Pharmacol Sci. 2016 Jul;37(7):606-17
- Bible KC, Suman VJ, Molina JR, Smallridge RC, Maples WJ, Menefee ME, Rubin J, Sideras K, Morris JC 3rd, McIver B, Burton JK, Webster KP, Bieber C, Traynor AM, Flynn PJ, Goh BC, Tang H, Ivy SP, Erlichman C; for the Endocrine Malignancies Disease Oriented Group; Mayo Clinic Cancer Center; the Mayo Phase 2 Consortium. Efficacy of pazopanib in progressive, radioiodine-refractory, metastatic differentiated thyroid cancers: results of a phase 2 consortium study. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11(10):962-72.
Updated as of 14 May 2018