Head & Senior Consultant
Division of Surgical Oncology
National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Director and Senior Consultant
Division of General Surgery (Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery)
University Surgical Cluster, National University Hospital (NUH)
Professor of Surgery
Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS)
Prof Jimmy So graduated from Faculty of Medicine at the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1991. He received his surgical training in National University Hospital, Singapore. He was trained in Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, Surgical Oncology, Bariatric Surgery, Therapeutic Endoscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery. He received fellowship training at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA. He was also appointed as visiting consultant surgeon in Esophageal and Gastric Surgery at the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. He established a multidisciplinary program for Esophageal and Gastric cancers in NUH in 2005. He also received fellowship training in gastric and esophageal cancer surgery in Japan, Korea and Hong Kong. He is the pioneer in endoscopic surgery for early esophageal and gastric cancers, robotic surgery and Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy (POEM) for Achalasia in Singapore.
Prof Jimmy So’s special interests are in gastric cancer, esophageal cancer and obesity. He has published more than 150 peer reviewed scientific papers and received many research grants for his research work in these areas. He received a Gold Award at the annual scientific meeting of the National Healthcare Group. He was invited regularly to speak at International Gastric Cancer Congress, Annual Scientific Meetings of Japanese Gastric Cancer Association and Korean International Gastric Cancer Week. He has also presented his works at American Gastroenterological Association (AGA), American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE), Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), and World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery.
He is founding president of the Asia-Pacific Gastro-esophageal Cancer Congress in 2006. In 2013, he was the council member of the Consensus Meeting at the 10th International Gastric Cancer Congress, held at Verona, Italy. He is also a founding member of Asia-Pacific Bariatric Surgery Society. Prof So is a member of editorial board of medical journals such as Gastric Cancer, Journal of Gastric Cancer and Translational Medicine. He is a reviewer for a number of prestigious medical journals including New England Journal of Medicine, British Journal of Surgery, Annals of Surgical Oncology, Surgical Endoscopy and Digestive Disease and Science. Presently, he is actively involved in management of patients with gastric and esophageal cancers, morbid obesity and other Upper GI disorders.
Education and Fellowships
- MBChB (1985 - 1991) - The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- FRCS (1995) - Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- FRCS(1995) - Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- FAMS (1999) - Academy of Medicine of Singapore
- MPH (2013) – National University of Singapore
- Surgical oncology and minimal invasive surgery for gastric and esophageal cancer
- Diagnostic and therapeutic upper endoscopy
- Bariatric surgery for morbid obesity
- Surgery for gastroesophageal reflux and achalasia
- Gastric cancer: carcinogenesis, biomarker, diagnosis & therapy (click here for more details)
- Esophageal cancer
- Obesity and metabolic syndrome
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy
- Chairman, Organising Committee, Asia-Pacific Gastric Cancer Congress in 2006, 2012
- Chairman, Organising Committee, GIST Tour 2011
- Chairman, Organising Committee, Gastric Cancer Awareness Month, Singapore Cancer Society
- Executive Committee, Singapore Gastric Cancer Consortium (SGCC)
Awards and Honours
- Best Doctor Award at the Annual Scientific Congress of National Healthcare Group, 2208 for research work on Endoscopic Imaging for Gastric Cancer
- Young Surgeon Award, Academy of Medicine
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal & Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- International Gastric Cancer Association (IGCA)
- Society of Surgery for Alimentary Tract
- International Society of Diseases of Esophagus (ISDE)
Selected Recent Publications, out of 142 in total, H-index= 34 (Scopus, until June 2017)
- Roux-en-Y or Billroth II Reconstruction After Radical Distal Gastrectomy for Gastric Cancer: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. So JB, Rao J, Wong AS, Chan YH, Pang NQ, Tay AY, Yung MY, Su Z, Phua JN, Shabbir A, Ng EK. Annals of Surgery. 2017 Apr 5. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002229. PMID: 28383294.
- Extensive peritoneal lavage after curative gastrectomy for gastric cancer (EXPEL): study protocol of an international multicentre randomised controlled trial. Kim G, Chen E, Tay AY, Lee JS, Phua JN, Shabbir A, So JB, Tai BC. Japanese journal of clinical oncology. 2017 Feb 26;47(2):179-184. doi: 10.1093/jjco/hyw153. PMID: 28173154.
- Conversion Surgery Post-Intraperitoneal Paclitaxel and Systemic Chemotherapy for Gastric Cancer Carcinomatosis Peritonei. Are We Ready? Chan DY, Syn NL, Yap R, Phua JN, Soh TI, Chee CE, Nga ME, Shabbir A, So JB, Yong WP. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2017 Mar;21(3):425-433. doi: 10.1007/s11605-016-3336-3. Epub 2016 Dec 15. PMID:27981493.
- Intraperitoneal chemotherapy for gastric cancer with peritoneal disease: experience from Singapore and Japan. Kono K, Yong WP, Okayama H, Shabbir A, Momma T, Ohki S, Takenoshita S, So J. Gastric cancer. 2017 Mar;20(Suppl 1):122-127. doi: 10.1007/s10120-016-0660-y. Epub 2016 Oct 20. Review. PMID: 27766496.
- Accumulation of CD11c+CD163+ Adipose Tissue Macrophages through Upregulation of Intracellular 11β-HSD1 in Human Obesity. Nakajima S, Koh V, Kua LF, So J, Davide L, Lim KS, Petersen SH, Yong WP, Shabbir A, Kono K. The Journal of Immunology. 2016 Nov 1;197(9):3735-3745. Epub 2016 Oct 3. PMID: 27698011.
- ADAR-Mediated RNA Editing Predicts Progression and Prognosis of Gastric Cancer. Chan TH, Qamra A, Tan KT, Guo J, Yang H, Qi L, Lin JS, Ng VH, Song Y, Hong H, Tay ST, Liu Y, Lee J, Rha SY, Zhu F, So JB, Teh BT, Yeoh KG, Rozen S, Tenen DG, Tan P, Chen L. Gastroenterology. 2016 Oct;151(4):637-650.e10. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2016.06.043. Epub 2016 Jul 1. PMID:27373511.
- Identification of Stem Cells in the Epithelium of the Stomach Corpus and Antrum of Mice. Matsuo J, Kimura S, Yamamura A, Koh CP, Hossain MZ, Heng DL, Kohu K, Voon DC, Hiai H, Unno M, So JB, Zhu F, Srivastava S, Teh M, Yeoh KG, Osato M, Ito Y. Gastroenterology. 2017 Jan;152(1):218-231.e14. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2016.09.018. Epub 2016 Sep 23.PMID: 27670082.
Updated as of 15 January 2018