National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, University Medicine Cluster, National University Hospital (NUH)
Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS)
Lee Pyng is Associate Professor, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. She is also Director of Interventional Pulmonology, Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, National University Hospital. Associate Professor Lee has an active interest in lung cancer, pleural disease, obstructive airway disease, bronchoscopy and pleuroscopy. She was the past President of Singapore Thoracic Society, and serves on international scientific committees in Lung Cancer, Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology as well as American College of Chest Physician Steering Committees. She represents Singapore as Global Governor for American College of Chest Physicians and is invited locally and overseas to speak and instruct in pleuroscopy, bronchoscopy and lung cancer. Associate Professor Lee is the author of publications in peer-reviewed journals, has written a manual and a book on pleuroscopy which has worn the British Medical Association Best Book Award in internal medicine in 2011. She received the Young Investigator’s award 2000 for work in asthma, Best Poster Award for research in talc and cancer cells at CHEST 2006, Best Original Investigation and Presentation at Chest World Congress 2014, and the Geoffrey McLennan Award for advancing the field of Interventional Pulmonology at CHEST 2014, Austin, Texas. She has completed her PhD on New Applications of Bronchoscopic Techniques conferred by Vrije University, Amsterdam.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (NUS), MRCP (UK), M.Med (Int Med)
- Lung cancer
- Plural disease
- Obstructive airway disease
Awards and Honours
- PhD, Doctorate of Medicine, Vrije University, Amsterdam 16 Dec 2014
- Geoffrey McLennan Award for Interventional Pulmnology, AABIP, CHEST 25 Oct 2014, Texas
- CHEST World Congress 26 March 2014 Award for Best Investigation and Presentation
- Best British Medical Association Book Prize in Internal Medicine 2011
- Best Reviewer Award for Singapore Medical Journal 2008, 2007, 2006
- CHEST (American College of Chest Physicians) Best Poster Award 2006
- Best Oral Paper, SGH 2004
- NUHS Teaching Excellence Award - 5 September 2014
- Young Investigator Award 2000
- Poster of distinction, NHG 2002
- EXSA Gold Award
- Senior Author of Simulation Brochoscopy Study that won
- Heinrich Becker Young Investigator Awards for Research and Clinical Innovation. WCBIP 2014, Kyoto, Japan
Director Interventional Pulmonology
American College of Chest Physicians Interventional Chest/Diagnostic Procedures NetWork Steering Committee
Section Editor for Respirology
Board of Associates for Institute of Pulmonology Medical Research & Development (Mumbai)
Associate Editor, Editorial Board Journal of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology
American Thoracic Society Assembly on Clinical Problems
Faculty of 1000 Medicine: Lung Cancer
American College of Chest Physicians Clinical Pulmonary Medicine NetWork Steering Committee
Core Program Committee of 16th World Conference on Lung Cancer (WCLC 2015),
International Scientific Committee for World Conference on Lung Cancer.
International Scientific Committee for World Congress of Bronchology and World Congress for Bronchoesophagology
Past Regent of Singapore for American College of Chest Physicians
Past President, Singapore Thoracic Society
Global Governor for Singapore at American College of Chest Physicians
- Lee P, Abisheganaden J, Chee CBE, Wang YT. A New Index that Predicts Near-fatal Asthma. Eur Respir J 2001;18:272-8.
- Lee P, Tai DYH. Clinical Features of Patients with Acute Organophosphate Poisoning requiring Intensive Care. Intensive Care Med 2001;27:694-9.
- Lee P, Culver DA, Mehta AC. Case Report on Syndrome of Iron Pill Aspiration. CHEST 2002;121:1355-7.
- Lee P, Gildea TR, Stoller JK. Emphysema in non-smokers: Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency and other causes. Cleve Clin J Med 2002;69:928-46.
- Lee P, Colt HG. Using Diagnostic Thoracoscopy to Optimal Effect. J Crit Care Illn 2003;18:244-51.
- Lee P, Colt HG. Thoracoscopy: an update on therapeutic applications. J Respir Dis 2003;24:530-5.
- Lee P, Yap WS, Pek WY, Ng AWK. An Audit of Medical Thoracoscopy and Talc Poudrage for Pneumothorax Prevention in Advanced Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Chest 2004; 125:1315-1320. Editorial comment: Chest 2004;125:1190-2.
- Lee P, Mehta AC. Management of Obstructing Airway Lesions in Patients with Lung Cancer. PCCU (Chest) 2004; Volume 18: Lesson 5.
- Lee P, Minai OA, Mehta AC, DeCamp M, Murthy S. Pulmonary Nodules in Lung Transplant Recipients: Etiology and Outcome. Chest 2004;125:165-72.
- Lee P, Colt HG. Rigid and Semirigid Pleuroscopy: the Future is Bright. Respirology 2005;10:418-25.
- Pernafiel A, Lee P, Hsu AAL, Eng P. Topical Mitomycin-C for Obstructing Endobronchial Granuloma. Ann Thorac Surg 2006;82:e22-3.
- Lee P, Hsu A, Lo C, Colt HG. Prospective Evaluation of Flex-rigid Pleuroscopy for Indeterminate Pleural Effusion: Accuracy, Safety and Outcome. Respirology 2007;12:881-6.
- Lee P, Colt HG. State of the Art: Pleuroscopy. J Thorac Oncol 2007;7:663-70.
- Lee P, Colt HG. Spray catheter technique for pleural anesthesia: a novel method for pain control before talc poudrage. Anesth Analg. 2007;104:198-200.
- Lee P, PE Postmus, Sutedja TG. Letter to Editor: Survival of Patients with Stage I Lung Cancer Detected on CT Screening. The International Early Lung Cancer Action Program Investigators. N Engl J Med 2007;356:745.
- Lee P, Sutedja TG. Lung Cancer Screening: is there any progress? Computed Tomography and Autofluorescence Bronchoscopy. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2007;13:243-8.
- Lee P, Brokx HA, Postmus PE, Sutedja TG. Dual Digital Video-Autofluorescence Imaging for Detection of Pre-neoplastic Lesions. Lung Cancer 2007;58:44-9.
- Lee P, Low SY, Liem HL, Tan D, Eng P. Endobronchial Ultrasound for Detection of Tracheomalacia from Chronic Compression by Vascular Ring. Respirology 2007;12:299-301.
- Lee P, Sutedja TG. Letter to Editor on Population screening for lung cancer using computed tomography, is there evidence of clinical effectiveness? Thorax 2008;63:87.
- Lee P. Primary spontaneous pneumothorax: to pleurodese or not? Commentary. Lancet 2013;381:1252-4.
Updated as of 4 September 2017