|Senior Consultant, Department of Haematology-Oncology, National University Cancer Institute Singapore (NCIS)
Dr Alvin Wong graduated from NUS in 1992 and completed his training in medical oncology with the Department of Haematology Oncology in 2001 where he now serves as senior consultant. He did a laboratory stint in Tumour Immunology at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore in 2002. He sub-specialises in genitourinary malignancies (kidney, prostate, bladder and germ cell cancers). His research collaborations include the investigation of Tumour Associated Macrophages in Renal Cell Carcinoma (Singapore Immunology Network) and the epidemiology of prostate cancer (NUS Epidemiology & Public Health). His has published on a range of topics in local and international journals, and enjoys a ‘seamless’ approach to GU cancers with his trainees and colleagues. He maintains a lively interest in bioethical issues.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS, MRCP (UK)
Awards and Honours
- Singapore Medical Association Bronze Medal 1992
- First Mekie Book Prize 1992
- HMDP Fellowship Dec 2001-Nov 2002
- NMRC Research Fellowship Dec 2002-May 2003
- NHG Researcher-Investigator-Scientist Enabler (RISE) Grant 2008
- NKF Grant 2008-2011
- NUH Postgraduate Teaching Excellence Award 2012
- Genitourinary cancers (kidney, prostate, bladder and germ cell cancers)
- Molecular profiling reveals a tumor-promoting phenotype of monocytes and macrophages in human cancer progression. Chittezhath M, Dhillon MK, Lim JY, Laoui D, Shalova IN, Teo YL, Chen J, Kamaraj R, Raman L, Lum J, Thamboo TP, Chiong E, Zolezzi F, Yang H, Van Ginderachter JA, Poidinger M, Wong AS, Biswas SK. Immunity. 2014 Nov 20;41(5):815-29.
- Efficacy and Safety of an Attenuated-Dose Sunitinib Regimen in Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: Results From a Prospective Registry in Singapore. Tan HS, Li H, Hong YW, Toh C, Wong A, Lopes G, Tay MH, Chan A, Yao X, Tang T, Ng QS, Kanesvaran R, Chau NM, Tan M. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2014 Nov 18.
- Green and black tea intake in relation to prostate cancer risk among Singapore Chinese. Julia A. Montague, Lesley M. Butler, Anna H. Wu, Jeanine M. Genkinger, Woon-Puay Koh, Alvin S. Wong, Renwei Wang, Jian-Min Yuan, Mimi C. Yu. Cancer causes and control 2012 Oct;23(10):1635-41.
- Cigarette smoking and risk of prostate cancer among Singapore Chinese. Butler LM, Wang R, Wong AS, Koh WP, Yu MC. Cancer Causes and Control 2009 Dec;20(10):1967-74.
- Calcium intake increases risk of prostate cancer among Singapore Chinese. Lesley M . Butler, Alvin S. Wong, Woon-Puay Koh, Renwei Wang, Jian-Min Yuan, Mimi C. Yu Cancer Res. 2010 Jun 15;70(12):4941-8.
- Debulking Nephrectomy Followed By A “Watch And Wait” Approach In Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. Wong AS, Chong KT, Heng CT, Consigliere DT, Esuvaranathan K, Toh KL, Chuah B, Lim R, Tan J. Urologic Onoclogy 2009 Mar-Apr;27(2):149-54.
- Efficacy Of Low Dose Ketoconazole In Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer Patients At The National Cancer Centre And The Cancer Institute, Singapore Ngo L, Yeo A, Wong AS, Tay MH. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2007 Oct ;36:811-4.
- Potential pitfall of FDG PET/CT in assessing residual masses post chemotherapy. Lu JS, Wong AS, Seet JE, Hao C, Sinha A. Clin Nucl Med. 2013 Apr;38(4):e200-4.
- Targeted Therapy At The End Of Life In Advanced Cancer Patients. T Soh, Yuen YC, C Teo, Lim SW, N Chan, AS Wong.J Palliat Med 2012 Sep;15(9):991-7. Epub 2012 Jul 13.
- A pregnant lady with aggressive breast cancer. Wong AS, Lim E, Robless PA, Wang SC, Back MF, Ang BK, Lim SE.Ann Acad Med Singapore Jun 2007. Jun;36(6):448-2.
- The Ethics of HEK 293 Wong A. Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2006 Autumn;6(3):473-95. PMID: 17091554
Updated as of 13 September 2016