Consultant, Department of Haematology-Oncology, NCIS
Principal Associate, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, NUS
Facility Head, Microscopy core, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, NUS
Dr Jeyasekharan obtained his undergraduate medical degree from Christian Medical College Vellore, India in 2003. He then received a Gates Cambridge Scholarship towards a PhD in Oncology (2008) at the University of Cambridge UK (Gonville and Caius College), under the mentorship of Prof. Ashok Venkitaraman FMedSci. Following a post-doctoral fellowship in Cambridge as a Junior Research Fellow (Wolfson), he joined the National University Hospital Singapore in 2010 to complete his training in Internal Medicine, and Medical Oncology (2016). He has been active in medical research at the NUHS, and holds a joint appointment at the Cancer Science Institute, where he has run a basic science laboratory since 2013. His laboratory focuses on understanding defects in DNA repair in tumours, and the development of biomarkers of these pathways for clinical use. Dr. Jeyasekharan holds multiple internal and nationally funded grants to support his research, and is also actively involved in the Clinician-Scientist Unit at the NUH, where he administers the National University Hospital Clinician-Scientist Program for Residents (NCSP-R). His clinical interest is in aggressive B-cell neoplasms, and he is a member of the NUH lymphoma team.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (CMC Vellore, India), MRCP (UK), PhD (Cantab), FAMS (Medical Oncology)
Royal College of Physicians, London
- Targeting genomic instability in cancer
- Roy RK, Hoppe MM, Srivastava S, Samanta A, Sharma N, Tan KT, Yang H, Voon DC, Pang B, Teh M, Murata-Kamiya N, Hatakeyama M, Chang YT, Yong WP, Ito Y, Ho KY, Tan P, Soong R, Koeffler PH, Yeoh KG, Jeyasekharan AD. CEACAM6 is upregulated by Helicobacter pylori CagA and is a biomarker for early gastric cancer. Oncotarget. 2016 Jul 11.
- Nakagawa Y, Sedukhina AS, Okamoto N, Nagasawa S, Suzuki N, Ohta T, Hattori H, Roche-Molina M, Narváez AJ, Jeyasekharan AD, Bernal JA, Sato K. NF-kB signaling mediates acquired resistance after PARP inhibition. Oncotarget. 2015 Feb 28;6(6):3825-39.
- Khoury-Haddad H, Guttmann-Raviv N, Ipenberg I, Huggins D, Jeyasekharan AD, Ayoub N. PARP1-dependent recruitment of KDM4D histone demethylase to DNA damage sites promotes double-strand break repair. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Feb 18;111(7):E728-37.
- Jeyasekharan AD, Liu Y, Hattori H, Pisupati VN, Jonsdottir, Eeson Rajendra et al, and Venkitaraman AR. A cancer-associated BRCA2 mutation reveals masked nuclear export signals controlling localization. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013 Oct;20(10):1191-8.
- Mahen R, Jeyasekharan AD, Barry N, Venkitaraman AR. Continuous polo-like kinase 1 activity regulates diffusion to maintain centrosome self-organization during mitosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011 May 31;108(22):9310-5.
- Jeyasekharan AD, Ayoub N, Ries J, Mahen R, Rajendra E, Kulkarni R, Venkitaraman AR. Regulation of Brca2 intranuclear mobility promotes its assembly on damaged DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010 Dec 14;107(50):21937-42.
- Ayoub N*, Jeyasekharan AD*, Venkitaraman AR (*Equal contributions). Mobilization and recruitment of HP1; A bimodal response to DNA breakage. Cell Cycle. 2009 Sep 15;8(18):2945-50.
- Ayoub N, Jeyasekharan AD, Bernal JA, Venkitaraman AR. HP1 mobilization promotes chromatin changes that initiate the DNA damage response. Nature. 2008 May
Updated as of 15 January 2019