Consultant, Department of Haematology-Oncology, National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Assistant Professor, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
Dr Angela Pang is currently a Consultant in the Department of Haematology-Oncology of National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS). She obtained her undergraduate degree from the School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS). Thereafter, she obtained her postgraduate qualifications - Masters in Medicine (Internal Medicine) from NUS, and her Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (UK). Subsequently, she went on to complete her advanced specialist training in Medical Oncology in the National University Hospital (NUH), Singapore and was awarded the NCIS research scholarship for her Sarcoma research fellowship with Professor Robert G Maki in the Tisch Cancer Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York.
With a specific interest in the optimisation of care in elderly cancer patients, Dr Pang further pursued a Graduate Diploma in Geriatric Medicine with the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (YLLSOM). In order to integrate her expertise in both geriatrics and oncology, she also trained in Geriatric Oncology with Dr Beatriz Korc and Dr Stuart Lichtman in the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York.
As Dr Pang’s main clinical interests are in bone/soft tissue sarcomas, gastrointestinal cancers and geriatric oncology, she is the co-lead for the Musculoskeletal oncology service in NCIS, and has also initiated several pilot projects for a multi-disciplinary geriatric oncology service in NCIS. She is also a principal investigator for several international multi-centre cancer clinical trials and also a recipient of several grants. Her research work has been published in peer reviewed journals including the Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO), Journal of American Society of Medicine (JAMA) Oncology, British Medical Journal (BMJ) GUT, Oncotarget and others.
Dr Pang is also actively involved in both undergraduate and post graduate education at the YLLSOM and NUH respectively. She has been awarded for teaching excellence and is currently appointed as Assistant Professor for Faculty of Medicine, YLLSOM and serves as core faculty of the undergraduate education (Medical Oncology) and Senior Residency (Medical Oncology) of NUH.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (Singapore), Grad Dip (GRM), MRCP (UK), M Med (Internal Med)
- Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Geriatric Oncology
- Gastrointestinal Cancers
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- European Society of Clinical Oncology (ESMO)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS)
- Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG)
Awards and Honours
- NUHS Inter Professional Teaching Award 2014
- NCIS Postgraduate Teaching Excellence Award 2015
- NCIS Research Fellow Scholarship 2015
- Clinical Investigator Program Grant, NCIS Centre Grant Call 2016
- Singapore Cancer Society Research Grant 2016
- Editor's quiz: GI snapshot; Gut, Volume 58; Issue 6 - A case of persistent vomiting. A Pang, P L Chia, B Ang, S A Buhari, B Y S Chuah. GUT 2009;58:750; doi:10.1136/gut.2008.167643.
- A case of sweet's syndrome due to 5-Azacytidine and vorinostat in a patient with NK/T cell lymphoma.Pang A, Tan KB, Aw D, Hsieh WS, Goh BC, Lee SC. Cutaneous and Ocular Toxicology. 2012 Mar;31(1):64-6. doi:10.3109/15569527.2011. 602034. Epub 2011 Aug 26.
- Cancer physicians’ attitude towards treatment of the elderly cancer patient in a developed Asian country. Angela Pang, Shirlynn Ho and Soo-Chin Lee BMC Geriatr. 2013 Apr 16;13:35. doi: 10.1186/1471-2318-13-35.
- Hepatitis B virus reactivation risk varies with different chemotherapy regimes commonly used in solid tumours. Ling WH, Soe PP, Pang AS, Lee SC. Br J Cancer. 2013 May 28;108(10):1931-5. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2013.225. Epub 2013 May 7.
- Lymphadenopathy and airway obstruction. Li A, Khoo KL, Tan CL, Pang A, Lee P. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Jan 1;191(1):e1-3. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201409 1622IM.
- Contemporary Therapy for Advanced Soft-Tissue Sarcomas in Adults: A Review. Angela Pang, Mariana Carbini, Robert G. Maki JAMA Oncol. 2016;2(7):941-947.
- Phase Ib/II randomized, open-label study of doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide with or without low-dose, short-course sunitinib in the pre-operative treatment of breast cancer . Andrea L.A. Wong, Raghav Sundar, Ting-Ting Wang, Thian-C Ng, Bo Zhang, Sing-Huang Tan, Thomas I.P. Soh, Angela S.L. Pang, Chee-Seng Tan, Samuel G.W. Ow, Lingzhi Wang, Jannet Mogro, Jingshan Ho, Anand D. Jeyasekharan, Yiqing Huang, Choon-Hua Thng, Ching-Wan Chan, Mikael Hartman, Philip Iau, Shaik A. Buhari, Boon-Cher Goh, Soo-Chin Lee Oncotarget. 2016 Sep 27; 7(39): 64089–6409.
- Bevacizumab-induced hypertension and use of new anti-hypertensive is associated with better outcome in patients with solid organ tumors treated with bevacizumab. C.S. Tan, W. Ling, T. Soh, A. Pang, P.J. Voon, S.C. Lee. Asian Oncology Summit 2012.
- Low-dose, short-course sunitinib may normalize tumor vasculature and improve tumor blood flow to enhance chemotherapy efficacy in breast cancers. 2012 ASCO Annual Meeting. Soo-Chin Lee, Andrea LA Wong, Thian C Ng, Choon Hua Thng, Ting Ting Wang, Maricel Cordero Tiemsim, Eugene Ong, Tong San Koh, Dennis Cheong, Pei-Jye Voon, I Peng Thomas Soh, Ching-Wan Chan, Philip Iau, Chee Seng Tan, Angela Pang, Boon C. Goh.
- Perceptions and barriers towards clinical trials participation in Asian cancer patients. Peng Thomas Soh, Cheong Kiat Julian Tay, Gui Yi Ho, Angela Pang, Pei Jye Voon, Winnie Hui Yee Ling, Chee Seng Tan, Soo-Chin Lee. Proc ASCO 2012.
- Phase II study of neoadjuvant weekly paclitaxel and carboplatin with lapatinib in HER2+ breast cancer. 2014 ASCO Annual Meeting. Andrea Li Ann Wong, Sing Huang Tan, I Peng Thomas Soh, Chee Seng Tan, Yi Wan Lim, Angela Pang, Jingshan Ho, Samuel Guan Wei Ow, Raghav Sundar, Mei-Yan Pang, Ching-Wan Chan, Shaik Ahmad Buhari, Mikael Hartman, Philip Iau, Anthony Tang, Nan-Soon Wong, Yoon Sim Yap, Bee-Luan Khoo, Jean Paul Thiery, Soo-Chin Lee.
- The optimization of 5-fluorouracil (5FU) dose by pharmacokinetic (PK) monitoring in Asian patients with advanced-stage gastrointestinal (GI) cancer. 2015 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. I Peng Thomas Soh, Maria Jannet Mogro, Ross A. Soo, Angela Pang, Chee Seng Tan, Benjamin Chuah, Ying Kiat Zee, Andrea Li Ann Wong, Samuel Guan Wei Ow, Raghav Sundar, Joline Si Jing Lim, Yiqing Huang, Winnie Hui Yee Ling, Wei-Peng Yong.
- Improving patients’ waiting time with collaborative efforts between physicians and nurses in targeting PICC related procedures. BMJ International Quality and Safety Conference 2015. Angela PANG, Moon Ley TUNG, Ednajoy NGO, Jedidah LIEOW , Zarinah HAIROM, Mariana IBRAHIM,Mary CHONG, Michelle TAN, Cecillia TAN, Siti Nurhaizah KUSNI, Christine WONG, Noorhanah MOHD SAID,Trudyjen Sanut BALANSAQ, Wei PENG,Jannis WAH, Emily ANG, Boon Cher GOH
- Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) as an active treatment option for desmoid tumor (DT) patients. 2016 ASCO Annual Meeting. Angela Pang, Daniela Venancio Gouveia Macedo, Mariana Carbini, Robert G. Maki
- Sarcoma Tumor Size (T) Staging : How much do tumors deform between radiology and surgery? 2016 CTOS Annual Meeting. Angela Pang , Marina Carbini, Robert G Maki
- Epidemiology, real world treatment and outcomes of 423 patients (pts) with angiosarcoma (AS) in Asia: A report from the Asian Sarcoma Consortium (ASC). 2016 ESMO Asia.R. Quek ,H. H. Loong ,V. Sriuranpong , M. Farid,S. Tan ,W. Goh , S. Mingmalairak ,T. W. Chen ,C. Chang , A. Pang, S. Teo ,M. E. Puhaindran , M. Maw ,R. Ngan ,A. K. Leung , J. C. Chan ,T. Hirose ,M. Endo, A. Kawai
- Optimal first line systemic therapy in patients (pts) with metastatic angiosarcoma: A report from the Asian Sarcoma Consortium. 2016 ESMO Asia. T. W. Chen, A. Pang ,M. E. Puhaindran , M. Maw ,H. H. Loong ,V. Sriuranpong , C. Chang ,S. Teo ,S. Mingmalairak , T. Hirose ,M. Endo ,A. Kawai ,M. Farid , S. Tan ,W. Goh ,R. Quek , J. C. Chan ,A. K. Leung ,R. Ngan .
- Prospective study of UDP-glucuronosyltransferase (UGT) 2B17 genotype and exemestane (Exe) pharmacokinetics (PK) and pharmacodynamics (PD) in Asian, hormone receptor (HR) positive, metastatic breast cancer (MBC) patients. 2017 ASCO Annual Meeting. Robert John Walsh, Soo Chin Lee, Kok Yong Seng, Ling-Zhi Wang, Gwo Fuang Ho, Samuel Guan Wei Ow, Nesaretnam Barr Kumarakulasinghe, Raghav Sundar, Xiao Wen Lee, Hui-Ling Yap, Anand Devaprasath Jeyasekharan, Angela Pang, Jingshan Ho, Chee Seng Tan, Yi Wan Lim, Rozita Abdul Malik, Wan Zamaniah Wan Ishak, Boon Cher Goh, Bee Choo Tai, Andrea Li Ann Wong
- Treatment patterns, clinical outcomes and prognostic factors of visceral angiosarcoma (V-AS): A report from the Asian Sarcoma Consortium (ASC). A Pang, R. Ngan, S.H. Tan,T. Hirose, M.Endo, M. Farid, W.L. Goh, H.H. Loong, S. Mingmalairak, C.-C. Chang, S. Teo, M.M. Maw, A.K.C. Leung, J.C. Chan, M.E. Puhaindran, A Kawai, T.W.-W. Chen, R. Quek, V. Sriuranpong
Updated as of 11 August 2017