Division of Surgical Oncology (Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery), National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Division of General Surgery (Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery), University Surgical Cluster, National University Hospital (NUH)
Division of Colorectal Surgery, University Surgical Cluster,
National University Hospital (NUH)
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (University of Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan), MRCS (RCSE), MMed (NUS), FCPS (College of Physicians and Surgeons, Pakistan), FRCS (RCSE), Fellowship in Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery (Seoul National University Bundang Hospital), Fellowship in Bariatric Surgery (I-Shou University, Eda Hospital, Taiwan)
Awards and Honours
- NLAM Clinician Scientist Unit “Pitch for Funds” awarded S$10,000 research grant on 16 March 2009 for project entitled: A New Endoluminal Device for Duodenal Exclusion in Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Obesity.
- Best oral paper presentation Asia Pacific Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Society meeting 2010 for paper titled “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass for the treatment of Type II diabetes mellitus in Chinese patients with body mass index of 25-35”
- International Award by American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Florida, June 2011, for paper titled “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass for the treatment of Type II diabetes mellitus in Chinese patients with body mass index of 25-35, A prospective study
- Courage Star. Certificate of Appreciation for Valour and selfless dedication during SARS period March to May 2003
- Long Service Award National University Hospital Singapore, 16th May 2007
- Merit award Pitch of Funds Round 15th Nov. 2007. Yong Lin School of Medicine. NUS leadership in Academic Medicine Program.
- Merit award. Young investigator award in clinical research. NHG Annual Scientific Congress 7th & 8th Nov. 2008.
- NUHS Way Quest Merit Award (CPIP Category) during the NUHS Way Day 2009 celebration
Sunny side up Award 2009
- Primary Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Female Breast a Rare Entity J Coll Physicians Surg Pak May 2000;10(5):185-6.
- “Solid-Pseudopapillary tumour of the pancreas: Case Report and Review of the literature. Surgical practice Nov 2006-12-10.
- Laparoscopic versus Open Ventral Hernia Mesh Repair: A Prospective Study. Surg Endosc (2006) 20: 1030–1035
- Diagnostic laparoscopy in the evaluation of right lower abdominal pain: a one year audit. Singapore Med J2008; 49(6):451-453
- Is laparoscopic colectomy as cost-beneficial as open colectomy? ANZ J Surg 79 (4) 265–270, April 2009
- Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection of Gastric Lesions Using a Through-the-Scope Intuitively Controlled Robotics-Enhanced Manipulator system. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy April 2009 (Vol. 69, Issue 5, Page AB163)
- Microbiological Contamination during Transgastric and Transvaginal Endoscopic Techniques. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques. August 2009, 9(4).
- Surgical management of obesity- NUH experience and literature review: Annals, Academy of Medicine, Singapore. Accepted & awaiting print Ann Acad Med Singapore 2009;38:882-90
- Pancreatic tuberculous abscess diagnosed by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration. Asim S, Manjari L, Kenneth MS, Alexander CR, Christopher K, Khek-Yu H. J Pak Med Assoc. 2010 Jun;60(6):499-501.
- Laparoscopic appendectomy by residents: evaluating outcomes and learning curve. Surg Endosc. 2010 Jan;24(1):125-30
- Pseudodiverticulosis of Gastroesophageal Junction mimicking a carcinoma. Mantoo SK, So J, Shabbir A, Sun LY. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Jun;73(6):1280-1. Epub 2011 Feb 26.
- Closure of gastrotomy in NOTES: a feasibility study using an ex-vivo model comparing endoloop with endoclip. Shabbir A, Liang S, Lomanto D, Ho KY, So JB. Dig Endosc. 2011 Apr;23(2):130-4. Epub 2010 Dec 7.
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of gastric lesions by using a Master and Slave Transluminal Endoscopic Robot (MASTER). Khek-Yu Ho, Soo Jay Phee, Asim Shabbir, Soon Chiang Low, Van An Huynh, Andy Prima Kencana, Kai Yang, Davide Lomanto, Bok Yan Jimmy So, Y.Y. Jennie Wong, Sydney Chung. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Volume 72, Issue 3, September 2010, Pages 593-599
- COMBINED SUTURE RETRACTION OF FALCIFORM LIGAMENT AND LEFT LOBE OF LIVER DURING LAPAROSCOPIC TOTAL GASTRECTOMY. Shabbir A, Lee JH, Lee MS, Park do J, Kim HH. Surg Endosc. 2010 Dec; 24(12):3237-40. Epub 2010 Jun 5.
- Post radiation chylous ascites: a case report. Vishal G Shelat, Garvi J Pandya, Asim Shabbir, Ravishankar K Diddapur. Cases Journal 2009, 2:9393
- Augmenting Weight Loss after LAGB by Laparoscopic Gastric Plication. Chih-Kun Huang, Shabbir Asim, Chi-Hsien Lo. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases.2010 March 8. Accepted
- Use of an Individual Surgeon Versus a Team Approach: Surgical Outcomes of Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass in an Asian Medical Center. Chen W, Chang CC, Chiu HC, Shabbir A, Perng DS, Huang CK. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011 Mar 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass for the treatment of Type II diabetes mellitus in Chinese patients with body mass index of 25-35. Huang CK, Shabbir A, Lo CH, Tai CM, Chen YS, Houng JY. Obes Surg. 2011 Apr 9. [Epub ahead of print].
- Cancer of the Gastric Cardia is rising in Incidence in an Asian population and is associated with Adverse outcome. Chris Deans, Mathew S.W.Yeo, Mu Yar Soe, Asim shabbir, T.K.Ti and Jimmy BY So. World J Surg. 2011 Mar;35(3):617-24.
- A novel technique for liver retraction in laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Huang CK, Lo CH, Asim S, Houng JY, Huang SF. Obes Surg. 2011 May;21(5):676-9.
- Novel bariatric technology: laparoscopic adjustable gastric banded plication: technique and preliminary results. Huang CK, Lo CH, Shabbir A, Tai CM. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011 Mar 24.
Updated as of 1 September 2015