National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Department of Pathology, National University Hospital (NUH)
Clinical Assistant Professor
Clinician Tract, Department of Pathology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University Singapore (NUS)
Laboratory Section Director
Diagnostic Molecular Oncology Centre, Department of Pathology, National University Health System (NUHS)
Cancer Science Institute
Dr Brendan Pang obtained the FRCPath (UK) and qualified as a histopathologist. He then trained in the Diagnostic Molecular Oncology Centre (DMOC), a College of American Pathologists (CAP) accredited molecular diagnostic laboratory under the mentorship of Professor Manuel Salto-Tellez. He furthered his training in molecular pathology as a visiting scholar at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre’s (UPMC) Molecular Anatomic Pathology (MAP) laboratory, Presbyterian Hospital, under Dr Marina Nikiforova, chair-elect of the solid tumours sub-division of the Association of Molecular pathology (AMP) and returned to Singapore as the Director of DMOC. He was appointed as an honorary pathology fellow at the Cancer Science Institute (CSI) in 2012 and has had research collaborations with the Genome Institute of Singapore (GIS) and other PIs from the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. His research interests lie in the development of novel biomarker assays using molecular platforms.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (NUS), FRCPath (UK), Fellowship in Molecular Anatomic Pathology Laboratory (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center), Honorary Fellow at the Cancer Science Institute Singapore
- Cancer biomarkers
- Molecular cytopathology
- Molecular pathology
Awards and Honours
Selected Publications for 2013-14
- Tay CM, Ong CW, Lee VK, Pang B. KIT gene mutation analysis in solid tumours: biology, clinical applications and trends in diagnostic reporting. Pathology. 2013 Feb;45(2):127-37. doi: 10.1097/PAT.0b013e32835c7645.
- Pang B, Durso MB, Hamilton RL, Nikiforova MN A Novel COLD-PCR/FMCA Assay Enhances the Detection of Low-abundance IDH1 Mutations in Gliomas. Diagn Mol Pathol. 2013 Mar;22(1):28-34.
- One-step nucleic acid amplification assay also predicts axillary lymph node status in breast cancer patients: further molecular diagnostic evidence. Wang T, Buhari SA, Pang B, Putti TC, Salto-Tellez M. Eur J Cancer. 2013 Dec;49(18):3945-6.
- van Grieken NC, Aoyama T, Chambers PA, Bottomley D, Ward LC, Inam I, Buffart TE, Das K, Lim T, Pang B, Zhang SL, Tan IB, Carvalho B, Heideman DA, Miyagi Y, Kameda Y, Arai T, Meijer GA, Tsuburaya A, Tan P, Yoshikawa T, Grabsch HI. KRAS and BRAF mutations are rare and related to DNA mismatch repair deficiency in gastric cancer from the East and the West: results from a large international multicentre study. Br J Cancer. 2013 Apr 16;108(7):1495-501.
- Chong ML, Loh M, Thakkar B, Pang B, Iacopetta B, Soong R. Phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase pathway aberrations in gastric and colorectal cancer: meta-analysis, co-occurrence and ethnic variation. Int J Cancer. 2014 Mar 1;134(5):1232-8.
- Loh M, Liem N, Vaithilingam A, Lim PL, Sapari NS, Elahi E, Mok ZY, Cheng CL, Yan B, Pang B, Salto-Tellez M, Yong WP, Iacopetta B, Soong R. DNA methylation subgroups and the CpG island methylator phenotype in gastric cancer: a comprehensive profiling approach BMC Gastroenterol. 2014 Mar 28;14(1):55.
- Phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase pathway aberrations in gastric and colorectal cancer: meta-analysis, co-occurrence and ethnic variation. 2014 Mar.
- DNA methylation subgroups and the CpG island methylator phenotype in gastric cancer: a comprehensive profiling approach. 2014 Mar.
- Combination of vaccine-strain measles and mumps virus synergistically kills a wide range of human hematological cancer cells: Special focus on acute myeloid leukemia. 2014 Nov.
- Angiomatoid Fibrous Histiocytoma with Prominent Myxoid Stroma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. 2014 Nov.
- Feasibility of low-throughput next generation sequencing for germline DNA screening. 2014 Dec.
- Phase I and Biomarker Study of OPB-51602, a Novel Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription (STAT) 3 Inhibitor, in Patients with Refractory Solid Malignancies. 2015 Jan.
- Tumour pharmacodynamics and circulating cell free DNA in patients with refractory colorectal carcinoma treated with regorafenib. 2015 Feb.
Updated as of 20 June 2017