Senior Consultant, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, National University Hospital (NUH)
Clinical Director, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, National University Hospital (NUH)
Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS)
Dr Ong is a Senior Consultant Gastroenterologist and Clinical Director of the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Upon graduation from the University of Bristol, UK, Dr Ong returned to work in Singapore and completed his training in Gastroenterology.
He runs the Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) service and participates in research mainly in the field of IBD. He was one of the founding members of the IBD Sg (IBD Support Group in Singapore for patients with IBD) as well as the Crohn’s and Colitis Society of Singapore. Dr Ong has given talks, interviews and keynote addresses both locally and internationally on topics relating to IBD. In addition to IBD, Dr Ong also has a special interest in the gut microbiome and was the first doctor to perform Fecal Microbiota Transplant in Singapore for patients with Clostridium Difficile infections.
Dr Ong also plays an active role in the NUH Administration and serves as the Associate Chairman of the Medical Board in the area of Risk Management and Medico-Legal. He also serves as the Co-Chair of the Giving Tree Project, which has raised over 2 million dollars for needy patients in NUH.
Apart from his clinical, research and administrative duties, Dr Ong teaches both at the undergraduate and post graduate level and serves as an Assistant Professor at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
Education and Fellowships
MBChB (Bristol), MRCP (UK), FAMS (Gastroenterology)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Colorectal Cancer Surveillance
- Fecal Microbiota Transplate / Gut Microbiome
Awards and Honours
- Gastric Cancer Fellowship at Western Hospital Gastrointestinal Cancer Unit, Melbourne
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease Fellowship at St Vincent’s Hospital , Melbourne
- Lead for REANIMATE Program which was first to perform Fecal Microbiota Transplant in Singapore
- Advisory Board, Vifor Pharmaceuticals
- Advisory Board, Abbvie Pharmaceuticals
- Advisory Board, Janssen Pharmaceuticals
- Advisory Board, Ferring Pharmaceuticals
- Advisory Board, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Member, Singapore Medical Council Complaints Panel
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease Cancer Surveillance in a Tertiary Referral Hospital: Attitudes and Practice. Verschuren EC, Ong DE, Kamm MA, Desmond PV, Lust M. Intern Med J. 2013 Sep 10. doi: 10.1111/imj.12285. Department of Gastroenterology, St. Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia; Department of Gastroenterology, Vu University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Incidence and phenotype of inflammatory bowel disease based on results from the Asia-pacific Crohn's and colitis epidemiology study. Ng SC, Tang W, Ching JY, Wong M, Chow CM, Hui AJ, Wong TC, Leung VK, Tsang SW, Yu HH, Li MF, Ng KK, Kamm MA, Studd C, Bell S, Leong R, de Silva HJ, Kasturiratne A, Mufeena MN, Ling KL, Ooi CJ, Tan PS, Ong D, Goh KL, Hilmi I, Pisespongsa P, Manatsathit S, Rerknimitr R, Aniwan S, Wang YF, Ouyang Q, Zeng Z, Zhu Z, Chen MH, Hu PJ, Wu K, Wang X, Simadibrata M, Abdullah M, Wu JC, Sung JJ, Chan FK; Asia–Pacific Crohn's and Colitis Epidemiologic Study (ACCESS) Study Group. Gastroenterology. 2013 Jul;145(1):158-165.e2. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2013.04.007. Epub 2013 Apr 9.
- Addition of Thiopurines Can Recapture Response in Patients with Crohn's Disease who Have Lost Response to Anti-Tnf Monotherapy. Ong DE, Kamm MA, Hartono JL, Lust M. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013 May 10. doi: 10.1111/jgh.12263. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gastric metastases of oral carcinoma resulting from percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy placement via the introducer technique. Jun Liang Teh; Reuben K. Wong; Michelle Gowans; Asim Shabbir; Bhavesh Doshi; David E. Ong; Victor T. Fan. Gastroenterology Report 2013; doi: 10.1093/gastro/got027.
- Loss of gastrokine-2 drives premalignant gastric inflammation and tumor progression. Menheniott TR, O'Connor L, Chionh YT, Däbritz J, Scurr M, Rollo BN, Ng GZ, Jacobs S, Catubig A, Kurklu B, Mercer S, Minamoto T, Ong DE, Ferrero RL, Fox JG, Wang TC, Sutton P, Judd LM, Giraud AS. J Clin Invest. 2016 Apr 1;126(4):1383-400. doi: 10.1172/JCI82655. Epub 2016 Mar 14.
- Early Course of Inflammatory Bowel Disease in a Population-Based Inception Cohort Study From 8 Countries in Asia and Australia. Ng SC, Zeng Z, Niewiadomski O, Tang W, Bell S, Kamm MA, Hu P, de Silva HJ, Niriella MA, Udara WS, Ong D, Ling KL, Ooi CJ, Hilmi I, Lee Goh K, Ouyang Q, Wang YF, Wu K, Wang X, Pisespongsa P, Manatsathit S, Aniwan S, Limsrivilai J, Gunawan J, Simadibrata M, Abdullah M, Tsang SW, Lo FH, Hui AJ, Chow CM, Yu HH, Li MF, Ng KK, Ching JY, Chan V, Wu JC, Chan FK, Chen M, Sung JJ; Asia-Pacific Crohn’s and Colitis Epidemiology Study (ACCESS) Group. Gastroenterology. 2016 Jan;150(1):86-95.e3; quiz e13-4. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2015.09.005. Epub 2015 Sep 15.
- Risk of Major Abdominal Surgery in an Asian Population-based Crohn's Disease Cohort. Pandey A, Salazar E, Kong CS, Lim WC, Ong J, Ong DE, Ong C, Aw M, Wee E, Chuah SW, Tan V, Tay WL, Nadkarni N, Ling KL. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2015 Nov;21(11):2625-33. doi: 10.1097/MIB.0000000000000525.
Updated as of 18 July 2016