||Principal Research Scientist, Department of Immunopathology and Cell Therapy, Department of Paediatrics, NUS
Much of Dr Elaine's career has been devoted to the development of novel approaches to the classification and monitoring of leukemia and lymphoma, with a particular focus on detection of minimal residual disease by flow cytometry. Before moving to Singapore in 2011, she was Laboratory Manager in the Department of Oncology at St Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. Prior to that, she was Chief Medical Laboratory Scientific Officer in the Department of Immunology at the Royal Free Hospital, London.
FIBMS, BSc, ASCP (QCYM)
Classification, prognostication and monitoring of acute leukemia
Selected Publications (of 120 total)
- Coustan-Smith E, Behm FG, Sanchez J, Hancock ML, Boyett JM, Raimondi SC, Rubnitz JE, Rivera GK, Sandlund JT, Pui C-H, Campana D. Immunologic detection of minimal residual disease in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Lancet, 351:550-554, 1998.
- Coustan-Smith E, Sancho J, Hancock ML, Boyett JM, Behm FG, Raimondi SC, Sandlund JT, Rivera GK, Rubnitz JE, Ribeiro RC, Pui C-H, Campana D. Clinical importance of minimal residual disease in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood, 96: 2691-2696, 2000.
- Coustan-Smith E, Ribeiro RC, Rubnitz JE, Razzouk BI, Pui CH, Pounds S, Andreansky M, Behm FG, Raimondi SC, Shurtleff SA, Downing JR, Campana D. Clinical significance of residual disease during treatment in childhood acute myeloid leukemia. Br J Haematol, 123: 243-252, 2003. Coustan-Smith E, Mullighan CG, Onciu M, Behm FG, Raimondi SC, Pei D, Cheng C, Su X, Rubnitz JE, Basso G, Biondi A, Pui CH, Downing JR, Campana D. A new biologic subtype of very high risk acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Lancet Oncology, 10:147-156, 2009.
- Pui CH, Campana D, Pei D, Bowman WP, Sandlund JT, Kaste SC, Ribeiro RC, Rubnitz JE, Raimondi SC, Onciu M, Coustan-Smith E, Kun LE, Jeha S, Cheng C, Howard SC, Simmons V, Bayles A, Metzger M, Boyett JM, Leung W, Handgretinger R, Downing JR, Evans WE, Relling MV. Treating childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia without prophylactic cranial irradiation. N Engl J Med, 360: 2730-2741, 2009.
- Rubnitz JE, Inaba H, Dahl G, Ribeiro RC, Bowman WP, Taub J, Pounds S, Razzouk BI, Lacayo NJ, Cao X, Meshinchi S, Degar B, Airewele G, Raimondi SC, Onciu M, Coustan-Smith E, Downing JM, Leung W, Pui CH, Campana D. Minimal residual disease–directed therapy for childhood acute myeloid leukemia: results of the AML02 Multicenter Trial. Lancet Oncology, 11:543-552, 2010.
- Coustan-Smith E, Song G, Clark C, Key L, Liu P, Mehrpooya M, Stow P, Su X, Shurtleff S, Pui CH, Downing JR, Campana D. New markers for minimal residual disease detection in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood, 117: 6267-6276, 2011.
- Zhang J, Ding L, Holmfeldt L, Wu G, Heatley SL, Payne-Turner D, Easton J, Chen X, Wang J, Rusch M, Lu C, Chen SC, Wei L, Collins-Underwood JR, Ma J, Roberts KG, Pounds SB, Ulyanov A, Becksfort J, Gupta P, Huether R, Kriwacki RW, Parker M, McGoldrick DJ, Zhao D, Alford D, Espy D, Bobba KC, Song G, Pei D, Cheng C, Roberts S, Barbato MI, Campana D, Coustan-Smith E et al. The genetic basis of early T-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Nature, 481: 157-163, 2012.
- Leung W, Pui CH, Coustan-Smith E, Yang J, Pei D, Gan K, Srinivasan A, Hartford C, Triplett BM, Dallas M, Pillai A, Shook D, Rubnitz JE, Sandlund JT, Jeha S, Inaba H, Ribeiro RC, Handgretinger R, Laver JH, Campana D. Detectable minimal residual disease before hematopoietic cell transplantation is prognostic but does not preclude cure for children with very-high-risk leukemia. Blood, 120: 468-472, 2012.
- Inaba H, Coustan-Smith E, Cao X, Pounds SB, Shurtleff SA,Wang KY, Raimondi SC, Onciu M, Jacobsen J, Ribeiro RC, Dahl G, Bowman WP, Taub JW, Degar B, Leung W, Downing JR, Pui CH, Rubnitz JE, Campana D. Comparative analysis of different approaches to measure treatment response in acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol, 30: 3625-3632, 2012.
- Faham M, Zheng J, Moorhead M, Carlton V, Stow P, Coustan-Smith E, Pui CH, Campana D. Deep sequencing approach for minimal residual disease detection in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood, 120:5173-5180, 2012. Wright KD, Onciu MM, Coustan-Smith E, Campana D, Raimondi C, Hiroto H, Ribeiro R, Pui C-H, Sandlund JT, Successful treatment of pediatric plasmacytoid dendritic cell tumors with a contemporary regimen for acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatric Blood & Cancer, 60 (7): 38-41, 2013.
- Coustan-Smith E, Campana, D. Should evaluation for minimal residual disease be routine in acute myeloid leukemia? Current Opinion in Hematology, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 20(2): 86-92, 2013.
- Jeha S, Coustan-Smith E, Pei D, Sandlund JT, Rubnitz JE, Howard SC, Inaba H, Bhojwani D, Metzger ML, Cheng C, Choi JK, Jacobsen J, Shurtleff SA, Raimondi S, Ribeiro RC, Pui CH, Campana D. Impact of tyrosine kinase inhibitors on minimal residual disease and outcome in childhood Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer, 120:1514-1519, 2014.
- Pui CH, Pei D, Campana D, Cheng C, Sandlund JT, Bowman WP, Hudson MM, Ribeiro RC, Raimondi SC, Jeha S, Howard SC, Bhojwani D, Inaba H, Rubnitz JE, Metzger ML, Gruber TA, Coustan-Smith E, Downing JR, Leung WH, Relling MV, Evans WE. A revised definition for cure of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Le, 2014 Apr 30. doi: 10.1038/leu.2014.142, 2014.
- Roberts KG, Pei D, Campana D, Payne-Turner D, Li Y, Cheng C, Sandlund JT, Jeha S, Easton J, Becksfort J, Zhang J, Coustan-Smith E, Raimondi, Leung WH, Relling MV, Evans WE, Downing JR, Mullighan CG, and Pui C-H. Outcome of children with BCR-ABL1-like acute lymphoblastic leukemia treated with risk-directed therapy based on the levels of minimal residual disease. JCO, J Clin Oncol 32:3012-3020, 2014.
- Imamura M, Shook D, Kamiya T, Shimasaki N, Chai SM, Coustan-Smith E, Imai C, Campana D. Autonomous growth and increased cytotoxicity of natural killer cells expressing membrane-bound Interleukin 15. Blood, Aug 14; 124 (7): 1081-8, 2014.
- Seth E Karol, Elaine Coustan-Smith, Xueyuan Cao, Sheila A Shurtleff, Susana Raimondi, John C Choi, Raul C Ribeiro, Gary V Dahl, William Paul Bowman, Jeffrey W Taub, Barbara Degar, Wing Leung, James R Downing, Ching-Hon Pui, Jeffrey E Rubnitz, Dario Campana, Hiroto Inaba. Prognostic factors in children with acute myeloid leukemia and excellent response to remission induction therapy. Br J Haematol:168(1):94-101, 2014.
- Ching-Hon Pui, Deqing Pei, Elaine Coustan-Smith, Sima Jeha, Cheng Cheng, W Paul Bowman, John T Sandlund, Raul C Ribeiro, Jeffery E Rubnitz, Hiroto Inaba, Deepa Bhojwani, Tanja A Gruber, Wing H Leung, James R Downing, William E Evans, Mary V Relling, Dario Campana. Clinical utility of sequential minimal residual disease measurements in the context of risk-based therapy in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a prospective study. Lancet Oncol:16(4); 465-74, 2015.
- Charles G Mullighan, Sima Jeha, Deqing Pei, Debbie Payne-Turner, Elaine Coustan-Smith, Kathryn G Roberts, Esme Waanders, John C Choi, Xiaotu Ma, Susana Raimondi, Yiping Fan, Wenjian Yang, Guangchun Song, Jun J Yang, Hiroto Inaba, James R Downing, Wing H Leung, W Paul Bowman, Mary V Relling, William E Evans, Jinghui Zhang, Dario Campana, Ching-Hon Pui. Outcome of children with hypodiploid ALL treated with risk-directed therapy based on MRD levels. Blood 126(26); 2896-9, 2015.
- Noriko Shimasaki, Elaine Coustan-Smith, Takahiro Kamiya, Dario Campana. Expanded and armed natural killer cells for cancer treatment. Cytotherapy 18(11); 1422-1434, 2016.
- C-H Pui, D Pei, S C Raimondi, E Coustan-Smith, S Jeha, C Cheng, W P Bowman, J T Sandlund, R C Ribeiro, J E Rubnitz, H Inaba, T A Gruber, W H Leung, J J Yang, J R Downing, W E Evans, M V Relling, D Campana. Clinical impact of minimal residual disease in children with different subtypes of acute lymphoblastic leukemia treated with Response-Adapted therapy. Leukemia 13 September 2016; doi:10.1038/leu.2016.234.
- Jeffrey W. Taub, Jason N. Berman, Johann K. Hitzler, April D. Sorrell, Norman J. Lacayo, Kelley Mast, David Head, Susana Raimondi, Betsy Hirsch, Yubin Ge, Robert B. Gerbing, Yi-Cheng Wang, Todd A. Alonzo, Dario Campana, Elaine Coustan-Smith, Prasad Mathew, and Alan S. Gamis. Improved outcomes for myeloid leukemia of Down syndrome: a report from the Children's Oncology Group AAML0431 trial. Blood 2017 129:3304-3313.
Updated as of 28 September 2017