Dr Ivan Tham completed his undergraduate medical education at the National University of Singapore, and received his postgraduate training in radiation oncology at the National Cancer Centre, Singapore, and Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London. He is a senior consultant radiation oncologist at the National University Cancer Institute, Singapore, with a special interest in lung, and head & neck cancers. He is currently Vice-President of the Federation of Asian Organizations for Radiation Oncology.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (S'pore), FRCR (Clinical Oncology), FRANZCR (Radiation Oncology)
- Lung Cancer
- Head & Neck Cancer
- Royal College of Radiologists, UK
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists, Australia
Selected Original Research Publications (Top 10)
- Schaefferkoetter J, Yan J, Sjöholm T, Townsend D, Conti M, Tam J, Soo R, Tham I. Quantitative Accuracy and Lesion Detectability of Low-Dose FDG-PET for Lung Cancer Screening. J Nucl Med 2017 Mar;58(3):399-405.
- Cheo T, Loh Y, Chen D, Lee KM, Tham I. Measuring radiotherapy setup errors at multiple neck levels in nasopharyngeal cancer (NPC): A case for differential PTV expansion. Radiother Oncol. 2015 Dec;117(3):419-2.
- Yan J, Lim JC, Loi HY, Khor LK, Sinha AK, Quek ST, Tham IW, Townsend DW. Impact of image reconstruction settings on Texture Features in 18F-FDG PET. J Nucl Med. 2015 Nov;56(11):1667-73.
- Mak HW, Lee SH, Chee J, Tham I, Goh BC, Chao SS, Ong YK, Loh KS, Lim CM. Clinical Outcome among Nasopharyngeal Cancer Patients in a Multi-Ethnic Society in Singapore. PLoS One. 2015 May 12;10(5):e0126108.
- Soon YY, Leong CN, Koh WY, Tham IW. EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors versus cranial radiation therapy for EGFR mutant non-small cell lung cancer with brain metastases: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Radiother Oncol. 2015 Feb;114(2):167-72.
- Soon YY, Tham IW, Lim KH, Koh WY, Lu JJ. Surgery or radiosurgery plus whole brain radiotherapy versus surgery or radiosurgery alone for brain metastases. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014 Mar 1;3:CD009454.
- Kong L, Hu C, Niu X, Zhang Y, Guo Y, Tham IWK, Lu JJ. Two prospective phase II clinical trials of neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiation for locoregionally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer 2013 Dec 1;119(23):4111-8.
- Qiu S, Lin S, Tham IWK, Pan J, Lu J, Lu JJ. Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy in the Salvage of Locally Recurrent Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Jun 1;83(2):676-83. Ho FC, Tham IW, Earnest A, Lee KM, Lu JJ. Patterns of regional lymph node metastasis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A meta-analysis of clinical evidence. BMC Cancer. 2012 Mar 21;12:98.
- Tuan JKL, Ha TC, Ong WS, Siow TR, Tham IWK, Yap SP, Tan TWK, Chua ET, Fong KW, Wee J. Late toxicities after conventional radiation therapy alone for nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Radiother Oncol 2012 Sep;104(3):305-11.
- Tham IWK, Hee SW, Yeo RMC, Salleh PB, Lee J, Tan TWK, Fong KW, Chua ET, Wee JTS. Treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma using intensity modulated radiotherapy—the National Cancer Centre Singapore experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009;75:1481-6.
Selected Textbook Chapters/Contributions
- Tham IWK, Soong YL. Epidemiology of Nasopharyngeal Cancer. (Yom S, Wee J, eds. Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma: Management Strategies) 2014.
- Soong YL, Tham IWK, Chieh SL, Wee J. Commentary on “Retrospective analysis of 5037 patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma treated during 1976-1985: overall survival and patterns of failure”. (A Century of Progress in Head and Neck Cancer, American Head and Neck Society) 2014.
- Tham IWK, Lee N. Major Salivary Glands. (Lee N, Lu JJ, Eds. Target Volume Delineation and Field Setup: A Practical Guide for Conformal and Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg) 2012.
- Tham IWK. Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Unknown Head and Neck Primary (Lu JJ, Brady LW, Eds. Decision Making in Radiation Oncology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg) 2011.
- Tham IWK. Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma. (Lu JJ, Brady LW, Eds. Decision Making in Radiation Oncology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg) 2011.
- Lu JJ, Tham IWK, Kong SF. Thymic Tumors. (Lu JJ, Brady LW, Eds. Decision Making in Radiation Oncology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg) 2011.
- Chng WJ. Tham IWK. Multiple Myeloma and Plasmacytoma. (Lu JJ, Brady LW, Eds. Decision Making in Radiation Oncology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg) 2011.
- Tham IWK, Lu JJ. Post-treatment Follow-Up of Patients with Nasopharyngeal Cancer. (Lu JJ, Cooper JS, Lee AWM, Eds. Nasopharyngeal Cancer- Multidisciplinary Management, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg 2010)