Division of Surgical Oncology (Head and Neck Surgery), National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, National University Hospital (NUH)
Dr Lim graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore in 1998. He underwent residency in Otolaryngology in Singapore and was awarded the Gold medal for the MRCS (Edinburgh) General Surgery examination in 2003 and subsequently the Gold medal award by the College of Surgeons for the best performing resident in the exit examination organized by the Specialist Training Committee in Otolaryngology in 2009.
After completing his specialist training, he joined the Department of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery as an Associate Consultant. He started his practice and pursued further training in head and neck oncologic surgery at the National University Health System, Singapore. In 2010, he was awarded the Ministry of Health Overseas Training award and pursued a 2 year Head and Neck Oncologic Fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in the United States of America. This fellowship is accredited by the Advanced Training Council of the American Head and Neck Society.
During these 2 years, Dr Lim did translational benchwork research in immunotherapy in head and neck cancer, focusing of immunological mechanisms in monoclonal antibody based therapy in cancer and identifying novel immune modifiers in cancer therapy. In his clinical training, he was trained in transoral robotic surgery (TORS), minimally invasive video assisted thyroidectomy (MIVAT) and minimally invasive approaches in head and neck surgery, in addition to the major head and neck resections. Upon his return to Singapore in 2012, he was appointed Consultant in the Division of Surgical Oncology (Head and Neck Surgery), NCIS and Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, NUH as well as Assistant Professor at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
His awards included the National Healthcare Group Clinical Research Scientist Leadership Award, best oral presentation for the Pitch for fund award and NHG Clinician scientist bronze award. He is the principal investigator in several grants looking at human papillomavirus in head and neck cancer and immune adjuvant in monoclonal antibody based therapy in head and neck cancer. In 2011, he was awarded the New Investigator Grant by the National Medical Research Singapore. In the area of research in robotic surgery, Dr Lim is actively collaborating iwth the acedemic staff from teh Faculty of Engineering National University of SIngapore and was the co-PI evaluating the key technologies for minimally invasive robotics surgery and navigation. Dr Lim has published in book chapters and numerous peer reviewed journals.
Education & Fellowships
MBBS (S'pore), MRCS (Edin) MMed (ORL)
- Thyroid surgery
- Head and neck cancer surgery
- Robotics surgery
Awards and Honours
- Gold medal in MRCS (Edin) Examination 2003
National Healthcare Group Clinical Research Scientist Leadership Award 2008
College of Surgeons Gold Medal for Otolaryngology Exit Examination 2009
Singapore Medical Journal Reviewer Distinction Award 2010,2012,2013
NMRC New Investigator Award 2011
Gold award Clinician Investigator Singapore Health and Biomedical Congress 2013
- 2014 - Treasurer, Singapore Society of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- 2014 - Executive Member, Asia Pacific Society of Thyroid Surgery
- Lim CM, Naik MJ, Ng SB, Cheah FK, Agasthian T. Primitive neuroectodermal tumour of the chest wall--a report of two cases and review of literature. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2000 Nov;29(6):760.
- Low WK, Toh ST, Lim CM, Ramesh G. Schneiderian papilloma of the nasopharynx. Ear Nose Throat J. 2002 May;81(5):336-8.
- Lim CM, Goh YH, Chao SS, Lynne L. Pseudocyst of the auricle. Laryngoscope. 2002 Nov;112(11):2033-6.
- Lim CM, Goh YH, Chao SS, Lim LH, Lim L. Pseudocyst of the auricle: a histologic perspective. Laryngoscope. 2004 Jul;114(7):1281-4.
- Lim CM, Shirdhar I, Tan L, Cheah WK. Contrast CT in localization of acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding. Asian J Surg. 2006 Apr;29(2):92-4.
- Lim CM, Lim J, Loh KS, Tan LK. Early experience in free tissue transfer in the reconstruction of head and neck defects. Singapore Med J. 2007 Jul;48(7):652-5.
- Lim CM, J They, Loh KS et al. Role of fine-needle aspiration cytology in the evaluation of parotid tumours. ANZ J Surg. 2007 Sep;77(9):742-4.
- Soon SR, Lim CM, Singh H, Sethi DS. Sphenoid sinus mucocele : 10 cases and literature review. J. Laryngol Otol. 2010 Jan;124(1):44-7.
- Lim CM, A Ng, KS Loh. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in head and neck cancer patients. J Laryngol Otol 2010- Feb 18:1-4.
- Lim CM, Steve Lee, A Lopez, R L Ferris. Immunology and immunotherapy in head and neck cancer (Book Chapter, Thieme).
- Lim CM, D Clump, D Heron, R L Ferris. Stereotactic radiosurgery for primary and recurrent head and neck tumors. Oral oncology Jan 2012 16.
- Lim CM, V Mehta, R Chai et al.Transoral anatomy of the tonsillar fossa and lateral pharyngeal wall- anatomical dissection with radiographic and clinical correlation Laryngoscope. 2013 Dec;123(12):3021-5.
- R Stephenson, Lim CM, Matthews M, Dietsch G, Hershberg R. R L Ferris. (co-first author) VTX 2337, a selective TLR8 ligand, enhances cetuximab ADCC in head and neck cancer. Cancer Immunol Immunother, 2013 Aug;62(8):1347-57.
- Lim CM, R Stephenson, A Salazar, RL Ferris. TLR3 agonists improve the immunostimulatory potential of cetuximab against EGFR+ head and neck cancer cells. Oncoimmunology 2013, Jun;2(6).
- 15. Ren HL, Lim CM , Wang J, Liu W, et al.Computer-assisted transoral surgery with flexible robotics and navigation technologies: a review of recent progress and research challenges. Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 2013;41(4-5):365-91.
- Lim CM, M Gilbert, JT Johnson, SW Kim. Clinical significance of intra-parotid nodal metastasis in primary parotid cancer. Head Neck 2014, Sept.
- Lim CM, M Gilbert, SW Kim, JT Johnson. Comparative study of carcinoma-ex-pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland- results from a single tertiary centre, Head Neck 2014, Feb.
- Lim CM, M Gilbert, JT Johnson, SW Kim. Is level V neck dissection necessary in patients with primary parotid cancer. Laryngoscope Jan 2014;125(1):118-21.
- M Gilbert, Lim CM, SW Kim. Book Chapter on “Metastasis – Modeling and analysis in head and neck cancer” (Springer, ; ISBN 978-94-007-7834-2) August 2014.
- Madana J, Lim CM, Loh KS. Narrow band imaging of nasopharynx to identify specific features for the possible detection of early nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Head Neck 2014 April.
- HL Ren, Lim CM, SW Goh, R Hee, et al. Nasoveillance: Delivery in-vivo surveillance for nasopharyngeal carcinoma, Journal of Medical Devices; Sept 2014 ( in press).
- HL Ren, Lim CM, N Ram, JA Khor, et al. Self-assisted wide angle nasopharyngeal carcinoma surveillance delivery system. Journal of Medical Devices; Sept 2014 ( in press).
- Mak HW, Lee SH, Chee J, Tham I, Goh BC, Chao SS, Ong YK, Loh KS, Lim CM. Clinical Outcome among Nasopharyngeal Cancer Patients in a Multi-Ethnic Society in Singapore. PLoS One. 2015 May 12;10(5).
Updated as of 1 July 2017