Associate Consultant, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, National University Hospital (NUH)
Associate Consultant, National University Centre for Organ Transplantation NUCOT, National University Health System (NUHS)
Clinical Lecturer, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University Singapore (NUS)
Dr Mark Muthiah is an Associate Consultant specialising in Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the National University Hospital, Singapore. He graduated from the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University Singapore, and did his postgraduate residency training in NUH. He completed his fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, and was certified by the Specialist Accreditation Board of Singapore in 2016.
Dr Muthiah has a keen interest in liver transplant, and is a member of the liver transplant team in the National University Hospital, Singapore. He is also skilled in diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, and is involved in colon cancer screening and endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) of colon polyps.
Dr Muthiah’s research interest is in cellular therapies to reverse liver fibrosis and promote liver regeneration, and is actively involved in basic and translational research on this subject. He is also the principal investigator for ongoing studies in the field of liver cirrhosis and liver transplantation. He has received awards for his research at both regional and international conferences.
Dr Muthiah is actively involved in the medical education for undergraduates, postgraduates, dentistry students, and pharmacy students. He has obtained numerous teaching awards from NUH, as well as the Outstanding Tutor Award from the Medical Student Society in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
MBBS (Singapore), MRCP (UK), M.Med (Int Med, Singapore)
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Liver transplantation and immunosuppression
- Liver cirrhosis
- Viral hepatitis
- Fatty liver / Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Drug induced liver injury (DILI)
- Colon cancer screening and endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) of colon polyps
Awards and Honours
- Valedictorian: Graduating cohort of fellows 2016
- Presidential Plenary, Asia Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver
- Young Investigator Travel Award, European Association for the Study of the Liver
- NUS Medical Society Outstanding Tutor Award
- NUH Dental Student Teaching, Best Tutor Award
- NUH M3 Student Teaching, Best Tutor Award
- NUS Medical Society Colours Award (Gold)
- NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine Dean’s List Award
- Gastroenterological Society of Singapore (GESS)
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (UK)
- Chief senior resident - University Medicine Cluster, National University Health System
- Chief resident - University Medical Cluster, National University Health System
- Chief resident (Academic) - University Medical Cluster, National University Health System
Updated as of 29 September 2017