National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Department of Pathology, National University Hospital (NUH)
Department of Pathology, National University of Singapore (NUS)
A/Prof Nga qualified as a histopathologist in 2005 (Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia andUnited Kingdom). Her subspecialty area of interest is in Cytopathology, particularly in non-gynaecological cytopathology and thyroid cytopathology. She completed Fellowship in diagnostic cytopathology in Queen Elizabeth Li Hospital, Western Australia, in 2007. She obtained Fellowship in the International Academy of Cytology in 2010 (FIAC).
Her research interests include cytopathology, thyroid cancer and lung cancer and gastrointestinal stromal tumours. She is also actively involved in research collaborations with clinicians and researchers within the National University Health System.
A/Prof Nga has a keen interest in teaching, and is actively involved in undergraduate, postgraduate and allied health education. She is Core Faculty in the NUH ACGME Postgraduate Residency Programme. She is also a member of the Quality Assurance Committee for Medical Undergraduate Teaching, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
She has been the previous Director of the Cytology Laboratory in the Department of Pathology, and oversaw the cytology laboratory quality assurance programme, as well as the College of American Pathologists Cytology Laboratory Accreditation exercise from 2007 – 2011.
A/Prof Nga is also a frequently invited speaker at loco-regional clinical and pathology conferences, and has most recently been the keynote speaker at the Australian Society of Cytology Annual Scientific Conference in Darwin in October 2014.
Education and Fellowships
- MBBS Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- FRCPath (Royal College of Pathologists, United Kingdom)
- FRCPA (Royal College of Pathologists, Australasia)
- FIAC (Fellow, International Academy of Cytology)
- Thyroid cancer
Awards and Honours
- NUS Annual Teaching Excellence Award (ATEA) Honour Roll 2016
- NUS ATEA 2009-10, 2012-13, 2013-14
- NUS Faculty Teaching Excellence Award 2006-7, 2012-13, 2013-14
- Singapore Society of Pathology – Becton Dickinson Research Award 2012
- National University of Singapore Faculty Teaching Excellence Awards 2006-7, 2009-10, 2012-13
- National University of Singapore Annual Teaching Excellence Award 2009-10, 2012-13
- Singapore Society of Pathology
- Society of Cytology, Singapore (Council member)
- International Academy of Cytology
- Australian Society of Cytology
- Nga ME, Kumarasinghe MP, Tie B, Sterrett GF, Wood B, Walsh J, Nguyen H, Whyte A, Frost FA. Experience with standardized thyroid fine-needle aspiration reporting categories: follow-up data from 529 cases with "indeterminate" or "atypical" reports. Cancer Cytopathol. 2010 Dec 25;118(6):423-33.
- Nga ME, Swe NN, Chen KT, Shen L, Lilly MB, Chan SP, Salto-Tellez M, Das K. PIM-1 kinase expression in adipocytic neoplasms: diagnostic and biological implications. Int J Exp Pathol. 2010 Feb;91(1):34-43.
- Zhang WC, Shyh-Chang N, Yang H, Rai A, Umashankar S, Ma S, Soh BS, Sun LL, Tai BC, Nga ME, Bhakoo KK, Jayapal SR, Nichane M, Yu Q, Ahmed DA, Tan C, Sing WP, Tam J, Thirugananam A, Noghabi MS, Huei Pang Y, Ang HS, Robson P, Kaldis P, Soo RA, Swarup S, Lim EH, Lim B. Glycine Decarboxylase Activity Drives Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Tumor-Initiating Cells and Tumorigenesis. Cell. 2012 Jan 20;148(1-2):259-72.
- Pang B, Matthias D, Ong CW, Dhewar AN, Gupta S, Lim GL, Nga ME, Seet JE, Qasim A, Chin TM, Soo R, Soong R, Salto-Tellez M. The positive impact of cytological specimens for EGFR mutation testing in non-small cell lung cancer: a single South East Asian laboratory's analysis of 670 cases. Cytopathology. 2012 Aug;23(4):229-36 (IF 1714).
- Pang NK, Nga ME, Chin SY, Ismail TM, Lim GL, Soong R, Salto-Tellez M.KRAS and BRAF mutation analysis can be reliably performed on aspirated cytological specimens of metastatic colorectal carcinoma. Cytopathology. 2011 Dec;22(6):358-64.
- Thamboo TP, Nga ME, Lim DG, Soong R, Salto-Tellez M. Thrombomodulin expression in gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTs): a novel finding with diagnostic implications. Pathology. 2009;41(5):488-90.
- Pang NK, Chin SY, Nga ME, Chang AR, Ismail TM, Omar SS, Charlton A, Salto-Tellez M. Comparative validation of c-kit exon 11 mutation analysis on cytology samples and corresponding surgical resections of gastrointestinal stromal tumours. Cytopathology. 2009 Oct;20(5):297-303.
- Nga ME, Lim GS, Soh CH, Kumarasinghe MP. HBME-1 and CK19 are highly discriminatory in the cytological diagnosis of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Diagn Cytopathol. 2008 Aug;36(8):550-6.
- Wong AS, Soong R, Seah SB, Lim SW, Chuah KL, Nga ME, Chin TM, Soo RA. Evidence for disease control with erlotinib after gefitinib failure in typical gefitinib-sensitive Asian patients with non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2008 Apr;3(4):400-4.
- Salto-Tellez M, Nga ME, Han HC, Wong ASC et al. Tissue Microarrays Characterize the Clinical Significance of a VEGF-A Protein Expression Signature in Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors. Br J Cancer 2007 Mar 12;96(5):776-782.
- Lim EH, Zhang SL, Yu K, Nga ME, Ahmed DA, Agasthian T, Wong PS, Chua GC, Wong D, Tan L, Seto KY, Yap WS, Low SP, Khoo KL, Chang A, Ng A, Tan P. An Alternative Approach to Determining Therapeutic Choices in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma (NSCLC): Maximizing the Diagnostic Procedure and the Use of Low-Volume Lung Biopsies. J Thorac Oncol 2007 May;2(5):387-96.
- Nga ME, Nilsson B, Lim GL, Chan NH. Successful retrieval of fine-needle aspiration biopsy material from previously stained smear for immunocytochemistry: A novel technique applied to three soft tissue tumours. Modern Pathology . 2005 May;18(5):728-32.
Updated as of 17 November 2015