Division of Surgical Oncology (Thyroid and Endocrine Surgery), National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Group Chief Technology Officer
NUHS Corporate Office
Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS)
Surgical Research and Development, Department of Surgery, University Surgical Cluster (USC)
Deputy Chief Medical information Officer
National University Health System (NUHS)
Dr Ngiam is a Senior Consultant at the Division of General Surgery (Thyroid and Endocrine Surgery) at the National University Hospital, specialising in Thyroid and Endocrine surgical disorders. Following the completion of his Advanced Specialist Training in General Surgery, he was awarded a fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and was accredited as a surgical specialist by the Specialist Accreditation Board, Singapore in 2012. He received the Higher Manpower Development Program Award in 2012 to complete a Fellowship in Metabolic and Endocrine Surgery in Taiwan. He received further training in robotic thyroid surgery at the Seoul National University Hospital, South Korea.
Dr Ngiam’s special interests are in thyroid and endocrine surgery, robotic thyroid surgery, bariatric and metabolic surgery, advanced endoscopy and laparoscopic surgery. He was awarded the ExxonMobil-NUS Research Fellowship for Clinicians in 2007 and his research interests include parathyroid surgery, robotic thyroid surgery, obesity surgery for type 2 diabetes and thyroid cancer surgery.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (London), MRCS (Glasgow), MMed (Surgery), Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh)
- Robotic and endoscopic thyroid surgery
- Parathyroid Surgery
- Adrenal Surgery
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Health information technology and Artificial intelligence
Awards and Honours
- Special Recognition Award, NUS, School of Medicine, 2015
- NUS Medical Society, Outstanding Tutor Award, 2013
- NUHS residency Program, Resident`s Choice Awards 2011
- NUS Medical Society Teachers´ Day Award 2008
- ExxonMobil-NUS Research Fellowship for Clinicians, 2007
- Excellent Service Award, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore 2005 - Silver award
- Distinctions in Surgery, Medicine, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2003
- Robert and Diana Dick Prize for Top Overseas Student 2003
- Esther Frances White Memorial Prize (Distinction in Final MBBS Examination 2003)
- Natalie Bogdan Prize in Medicine 2003
- Winifred Secretan Patch Prize in Anatomy, 1999
- Ngiam KY, Khoo VY, Kong L, Cheng AK. Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding Revisions in Singapore: a 10-Year Experience. Obesity surgery. 2015 Aug 28. PubMed PMID: 26314350. Epub 2015/09/01.
- Ngiam KY, Lee WJ, Lee YC, Anton Cheng. Efficacy of Metabolic Surgery on HbA1c Decrease in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients with BMI2 – A Review. Obesity Surgery. 2013. DOI: 10.1007/s11695-013-1112-y.
- Tan EJ, Soh KC, Ngiam KY. Colonic architectural change on colonoscopy in patients taking psychotropic medications. Surgical Endosc. 2013;27(5):1601-6. Epub 2012/10/19.
- Ngiam KY, Tan EJ, Soh KC. Reply to: 10.1007/s00464-013-3134-x: colonic architectural changes after the use of psychotropic drugs: looking at the egg while forgetting the hen? Surgical Endosc. 2014 Jan;28(1):348-9. PubMed PMID: 24048814. Epub 2013/09/21.
- Lee KY, Goo TT, Ngiam KY, Tan WB, Parameswaran R. Long term outcomes of renal hyperparathyroidism from Singapore with no access to renal transplant. European Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2014 40:S4. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2014.07.012.
- Hu J, Ngiam KY, Parameswaran R. Mediastinal parathyroid adenomas and their surgical implications. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2015 May;97(4):259-61. PubMed PMID: 26263931. Epub 2015/08/13.
Updated as of 15 January 2019