Consultant Department of Haematology-Oncology,
National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Assistant Professor Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine,
National University of Singapore (NUS)
Dr Raghav Sundar obtained his medical degree from the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, where his academic distinctions earned him a place in the Dean’s List and the Thambipillai Silver Medal. He topped the country in the Internal Medicine specialty examination obtaining the Master of Medicine (Internal Medicine) and the Gordon Arthur Ransome Gold Medal in Internal Medicine. He was Chief Resident and Chief Senior Resident during his training at the National University Hospital. He subsequently completed his Medical Oncology Senior Residency at the National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS). His clinical interest is in gastrointestinal cancers. His research interest lies in early phase drug development, immunotherapy, DNA damage repair, and chemotherapy-induced neuropathy. He was awarded the National Medical Research Council Overseas Fellowship Award to undergo fellowship training at the Drug Development Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, UK. He won the Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO Merit Award for his work on developing novel anticancer therapeutics. He holds several grants and has secured over $1,400,000 in grant funding. He has several first author publications in high impact peer-reviewed journals including Cancer Discovery and Clinical Cancer Research and designs clinical trials for novel cancer drugs and devices.
MBBS(Singapore), MRCP(UK), MMed(Int Med), MCI, FAMS (Oncology)
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Early Phase Drug Development
- Immunotherapy, DNA damage repair
- Chemotherapy-induced neuropathy
Awards and Honours
- Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO Merit Award
- National Medical Research Council Fellowship Award
- Gordon A Ransom Gold Medal
- Thambipillai Silver Medal
- Dean’s List, School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Singapore Airlines Youth Scholarship
- Chief Resident – University Medical Centre, National University Health System
- Chief Resident (Academic) - University Medical Centre, National University Health System
- Chief Senior Resident – Department of Haematology-Oncology, National University Health System
- Real-time Tumor Gene Expression Profiling to Direct Gastric Cancer Chemotherapy: Proof-of-Concept '3G' Trial. Yong WP, Rha SY, Tan IB, Choo SP, Syn NL, Koh V, Tan SH, Asuncion BR, Sundar R, et al. Clin Cancer Res 2018 2018 Jul 25.
- Ataxia Telangiectasia Mutated Protein Loss and Benefit From Oxaliplatin-based Chemotherapy in Colorectal Cancer. Sundar R, Miranda S, Rodrigues DN, et al. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2018 Jun 8.
- Clinical outcomes of adolescents and young adults with advanced solid tumours participating in phase I trials. Sundar R, McVeigh T, Dolling D, et al. Eur J Cancer. 2018 Jul 16;101:55-61.
- Vistusertib (dual m-TORC1/2 inhibitor) in combination with paclitaxel in patients with high grade serous ovarian and squamous non-small cell lung cancer. Basu B*, Krebs MG*, Sundar R*, et al. Ann Oncol. 2018 Jul 17. *Joint first authors
- Transcriptional analysis of immune genes in Epstein-Barr virus-associated gastric cancer and association with clinical outcomes. Sundar R, Qamra A, Tan ALK, et al. Gastric Cancer. 2018 Jun 18.
- Biomarkers for Homologous Recombination Deficiency in Cancer. Hoppe MM*, Sundar R*, Tan DSP, Jeyasekharan AD. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018 Jul 1;110(7):704-713. *Joint first authors
- The role of genomic profiling in adolescents and young adults (AYAs) with advanced cancer participating in phase I clinical trials. McVeigh TP*, Sundar R*, Diamantis N, et al. Eur J Cancer. 2018, Mar 31;95:20-29. *Joint first authors
- A phase I/Ib study of OTSGC-A24 combined peptide vaccine in advanced gastric cancer. Sundar R, Rha SY, Yamaue H, et al. BMC Cancer. 2018 Mar 27;18(1):332.
- Resisting resistance to cancer immunotherapy. Lam WS, Wang LZ, … Sundar R. Thorac Cancer. 2018 Mar 7.
- Genomic Analyses and Precision Oncology in Gastroesophageal Cancer: Forwards or Backwards? Sundar R, Tan P. Cancer Discov. 2018 Jan;8(1):14-16.
- Combining DNA damaging therapeutics with immunotherapy: more haste, less speed. Brown JS, Sundar R, Lopez J. Br J Cancer. 2018 Feb 6;118(3):312-324.
- Clinical Outcome of Patients with Advanced Biliary Tract Cancer in a Dedicated Phase I Unit. Sundar R, Custodio A, Petruckevitch A, et al. Clinical Oncology. 2018 Mar;30(3):185-191.
- Targeting BRAF Mutant Colorectal Cancer: Progress in Combination Strategies. Sundar R, Hong DS, Kopetz S, Yap T. Cancer Discov. 2017 Jun;7(6):558-560
- Targeting ATR in cancer medicine. Sundar R, Brown J, Ingles Russo A, Yap TA. Curr Probl Cancer. 2017 Jul - Aug;41(4):302-315.
- Combining molecularly targeted agents: is more always better? Sundar R, Valeri N, Harrington K, Yap T. Clin Cancer Res. 2017 Mar 1;23(5):1123-1125
- Limb Hypothermia for Preventing Paclitaxel-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy in Breast Cancer Patients: A Pilot Study. Sundar R, Bandla A, Tan SSH, et al. Front. Oncol. 2017 Jan 10;6:274.
- Low Levels of NDRG1 in Nerve Tissue Are Predictive of Severe Paclitaxel-Induced Neuropathy. Sundar R, Jeyasekharan AD, Pang B, Soong RCT, Kumarakulasinghe NB, et al. PLoS ONE. 2016 Oct 7;11(10):e0164319
- Hypothermia for Preventing Chemotherapy-Induced Neuropathy – A Pilot Study on Safety and Tolerability in Healthy Controls. Bandla A, Sundar R, Wilder-Smith EP et al. Acta Oncologica 2016;55(4):430-6
- Nivolumab in NSCLC: latest evidence and clinical potential. Sundar R, Cho BC, Brahmer JR, Soo RA. Ther Adv Med Oncol. 2015 Mar; 7(2): 85–96.
- Immunotherapy in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Sundar R, Soong R, Cho BC, Brahmer JR, Soo RA. Lung Cancer. 2014 Aug;85(2):101-9.
Updated as of 16 October 2018