Division of Surgical Oncology (Thyroid and Endocrine Surgery)
National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Head and Consultant
Division of Endocrine Surgery (Thyroid and Endocrine Surgery) Department of Surgery
National University Hospital (NUH)
Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
National University of Singapore (NUS)
Dr Rajeev Parameswaran is a Consultant at the Division of General Surgery (Thyroid and Endocrine Surgery) at the National University Hospital, specialising in Thyroid and Endocrine surgical disordersConsultant at the Division of General Surgery (Thyroid and Endocrine Surgery) at the National University Hospital, specialising in Thyroid and Endocrine surgical disorders. Dr Rajeev following his medical graduation in India, trained in surgery and pursued higher training in the United Kingdom. He completed his specialist endocrine surgical training and Fellowship in endocrine surgery from Oxford, following which he was employed as a Consultant in Endocrine & General Surgery in UK. He is one of the few accredited Consultants on the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons to perform endocrine surgery. Dr Rajeev was awarded M Phil form Oxford for his research work on aberrant glycoproteins in thyroid tumours.
Dr Rajeev has special interest in management of endocrine cancers (cancers of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands), minimally invasive surgery of the adrenal and parathyroid glands and re-operative endocrine surgery. His main area of research interest is aberrant expression of glycoproteins in endocrine cancers. He has delivered International lectures on various topics in Endocrine cancers.
Education and Fellowships
BSc (India), MBBS (India), FRCS (Ireland), M Phil (UK), FRCS (UK)
Awards and Honours
- Level 1 Clinical Excellence Award for provision of best surgical services for the Trust (Isle of Wight PCT) 2012-13
- FIRST PRIZE for the best submitted abstract in the Clinical Governance Case Report category, Society of Endocrinology, BES 2011, UK
- FIRST PRIZE for the best poster Research student’s symposium, Oxford Brookes University, January 2008
- BAES BJS PRIZE for the best oral paper presented at the BAES meeting, Newcastle October 2005
- NEW SCIENTIST SECOND PRIZE for the best research poster, PhD symposium held at Oxford Brookes University, December 2004
- BASO TRAVELLING FELLOWSHIP, organized by BASO~ACS, October 2003
- FIRST PRIZE for best oral presentation Welsh Surgical Society annual meeting May 2003
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons (BAETS)
- Asian Society of Endocrine Surgeons (ASES)
- Royal Society of Medicine, UK
- Endocrine Society US
- International Association of Endocrine Surgeons (IAES)
- American Thyroid Association (ATA)
- Singapore Society of Oncology (SSO)
- Endocrine & Metabolic Society of Singapore (EMSS)
- European Network for the Study of Adrenal Tumours (ENSAT)
- Changes in bone turnover markers in primary hyperparathyroidism and response to surgery. Rajeev P, Movseysan A, Baharani A. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017 Sep;99(7):559-562. doi: 10.1308/rcsann.2017.0092. PubMed PMID: 28853593.
- Management of unilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve injury after thyroid surgery: A review. Lynch J, Parameswaran R. Head Neck. 2017 Jul;39(7):1470-1478. doi: 10.1002/hed.24772. Epub 2017 Apr 3. Review. PubMed PMID: 28370683.
- Thyroid cytology-nuclear versus architectural atypia within the "Atypia of undetermined significance/follicular lesion of undetermined significance" Bethesda category have significantly different rates of malignancy. Gan TR, Nga ME, Lum JH, Wong WM, Tan WB, Parameswaran R, Ngiam KY. Cancer. 2017 Apr;125(4):245-256. doi: 10.1002/cncy.21823. Epub 2017 Feb 13. PubMed PMID: 28192631.
- Comparison of prognostic scoring systems in follicular thyroid cancer. Ken Wah Teo, Wee Boon Tan, Ngiam Kee Yuan, Parameswaran R. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. July 2017. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017 Jul;99(6):479-484. doi: 10.1308/rcsann.2017.0072.
- Patterns of metastasis in follicular thyroid carcinoma and the difference between early and delayed presentation. Parameswaran R , Shulin Hu J , Min En N , Tan WB , Yuan NK. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017 Feb;99(2):151-154. doi: 10.1308/rcsann.2016.0300. Epub 2016 Sep 23.
Updated as of 12 September 2017