National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, National University Hospital (NUH)
Dr Thian Yee Liang is a Senior Consultant with the NCIS and Department of Diagnostic Imaging, NUH. He obtained his medical degrees from the National University of Singapore (MBBS), the Royal College of Radiologists, United Kingdom [FRCR(UK)] and the Masters of Medicine (S’pore). He was awarded the Academic Medicine Development Award to subspecialise in oncologic imaging at the Royal Marsden Hospital, United Kingdom. He has special interests in body MRI and oncologic imaging, especially functional MRI techniques for response assessment. He has published clinical and research articles in peer-reviewed international journals in relation to oncologic imaging and functional MRI techniques.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (Singapore), FRCR(UK), MMed (Diag Radiol, NUS)
- Fellow, Royal College of Radiologists
- Member, Singapore Radiological Society
- Member, European Society of Radiology
- Oncologic imaging
- Functional and whole body MRI
- Gynecological and colorectal imaging
Awards and Honours
- Winner of NUHS Leadership in Academic Medicine (NLAM) Program “Pitch for Funds” $10,000 research grant (Sept 2011) for the project Diffusion Weighted Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Pre-operative Staging of Colorectal Carcinoma (Principle investigator), Best Oral Presentation
- Awarded $98,500 as Principle Investigator for NCIS centre grant seed funding program (Jan 2014) for the project : ‘Is hybrid positron emission tomography magnetic resonance imaging (PET-MRI) an accurate modality for evaluation of rectal cancer patients after chemo-radiotherapy?’
- Academic Medicine Development Award (AMDA) FY 2012 for Functional and Whole-body MRI in Oncologic Imaging at the Royal Marsden Hospital, UK
Original Research Publications
- Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced Computed Tomography in Metastatic Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma: Reproducibility Analysis and Observer Variability of the Distributed Parameter Model. Invest Radiol. 2012 Jan;47(1):5-10. Ng QS, Thng CH, Lim WT, Hartono S, Thian YL, Lee PS, Tan DS, Tan EH, Koh TS.
- Atypical Enhancement Pattern of Hepatocellular Carcinoma with Portal Vein Thrombosis on Multiphasic CT. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2011 Oct;40(10):454-9.YL Thian, Albert SC Low, KH Chow, L Ooi, YF Chung, CS Low, WY Xie, CH Thng
- Imaging paradigms in assessment of rectal carcinoma: loco-regional and distant staging. Cancer Imaging. 2012 Oct 2;12:290-303. Liang TY, Anil G, Ang BW.
- Peritoneal lymphomatosis mimicking peritoneal carcinomatosis: important imaging clues for correct diagnosis. Singapore Med J. 2013 Apr;54(4):e93-6. Sia DS, Kapur J, Thian YL.
- Liver-specific agents for contrast-enhanced MRI : role in oncological imaging. Cancer Imaging 2013. YL Thian, A. Riddell, DM Koh. Cancer Imaging. 2013 Dec 30;13(4):567-79.
- Readout-segmented echo planar imaging for diffusion weighted imaging in the pelvis at 3T – a feasibility study. Academic Radiology 2014. YL Thian, WY Xie, D Porter, Ang BW. Acad Radiol. 2014 Apr;21(4):531-7.
- Revised Choi Imaging Criteria Correlate with Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Treated with Sunitinib. Thian Y, Gutzeit A, Koh DM, Fisher R, Lote H, Larkin J, Sohaib A. Radiology. 2014 May 26:132702.
- Thian YL, Koh DM. Diffusion Weighted Imaging of the Abdomen. In : Gore, Richard M, and Marc S. Levine. Textbook of Gastrointestinal Radiology: 4th ed. Philadelphia : Saunders, 2014
Updated as of 1 January 2018