Dr Thomas Thamboo is a Senior Consultant pathologist and assistant professor in the NCIS and Department of Pathology, NUH. He graduated from the medical school at the University of Leeds, United Kingdom in 1995. He trained in histopathology at the Department of Pathology, National University of Singapore, and obtained his specialist qualifications in histopathology from both the Royal College of Pathologists (United Kingdom) and the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia in 2004. He undertook sub-specialty training in renal pathology at the department of cellular pathology at John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom in 2006.
He has authored or co-authored more than 50 papers in peer-reviewed journals and has contributed to a book chapter on the diagnosis of early gastric cancer. He is actively involved in general histopathology and cytopathology reporting, as well as the sub-specialty reporting of renal biopsies. He is also the Programme Director for the Pathology ACGME-I Residency Programme.
Education and Fellowships
MBChB(Leeds), FRCPath, FRCPA
- Renal pathology
- Urologic pathology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists, UK (2004 - present)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists ofAustralasia(2004 - present)
- Life member of the Singapore Society of Pathology
- JD, Wang Z, Stephenson MC, Roy S, Conti M, Eriksson L, Townsend DW, Thamboo T, Chiong E. Quantitative 18F-fluorocholine positron emission tomography for prostate cancer: correlation between kinetic parameters and Gleason scoring. Schaefferkoetter EJNMMI Res. 2017 Dec;7(1):25. doi: 10.1186/s13550-017-0269-0.
- Tan LG, Tan YK, Tai BC, Tan KM, Gauhar V, Tiong HY, Hawkins RC, Thamboo TP, Hong FS, Chiong E. Prospective validation of %p2PSA and the Prostate Health Index, in prostate cancer detection in initial prostate biopsies of Asian men, with total PSA 4-10 ng ml-1. Asian J Androl. 2017 May-Jun;19(3):286-290.
- Celhar T, Hopkins R, Thornhill SI, De Magalhaes R, Hwang SH, Lee HY, Yasuga H, Jones LA, Casco J, Lee B, Thamboo TP, Zhou XJ, Poidinger M, Connolly JE, Wakeland EK, Fairhurst AM. RNA sensing by conventional dendritic cells is central to the development of lupus nephritis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Nov 10;112(45):E6195-204.
- Subramaniam MM, Tiong AL, Hui LT, Min VL, Amrith S, Thamboo TP. Primary well-differentiated liposarcoma of the eyelid clinically masquerading as a benign tumour: a rare entity confirmed by murine double minute 2 fluorescence in-situ hybridization. Histopathology. 2015 Oct;67(4):582-5.
- Lim JH, Ravikumar S, Wang YM, Thamboo TP, Ong L, Chen J, Goh JG, Tay SH, Chengchen L, Win MS, Leong W, Lau T, Foo R, Mirza H, Tan KS, Sethi S, Khoo AL, Chng WJ, Osato M, Netea MG, Wang Y, Chai LY. Bimodal Influence of Vitamin D in Host Response to Systemic Candida Infection-Vitamin D Dose Matters. J Infect Dis. 2015 Aug 15;212(4):635-44.
- Chittezhath M, Dhillon MK, Lim JY, Laoui D, Shalova IN, Teo YL, Chen J, Kamaraj R, Raman L, Lum J, Thamboo TP, Chiong E, Zolezzi F, Yang H, Van Ginderachter JA, Poidinger M, Wong AS, Biswas SK. Molecular profiling reveals a tumor-promoting phenotype of monocytes and macrophages in human cancer progression. Immunity. 2014 Nov 20;41(5):815-29.
- Tay MH, Thamboo TP, Wu FM, Zhaojin C, Choo TB, Ramaan L, Tiong HY. J Endourol. High R.E.N.A.L. Nephrometry scores are associated with pathologic upstaging of clinical T1 renal-cell carcinomas in radical nephrectomy specimens: implications for nephron-sparing surgery. 2014 Sep;28(9):1138-42.
- Quek AM, Soon D, Chan YC, Thamboo TP, Yuki N. Acute-onset chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. J Neurol Sci. 2014 Jun 15;341(1-2):139-43.
- Biswas S, Charlesworth PJ, Turner GD, Leek R, Thamboo PT, Campo L, Turley H, Dildey P, Protheroe A, Cranston D, Gatter KC, Pezzella F, Harris AL. CD31 angiogenesis and combined expression of HIF-1α and HIF-2α are prognostic in primary clear-cell renal cell carcinoma (CC-RCC), but HIFα transcriptional products are not: implications for antiangiogenic trials and HIFα biomarker studies in primary CC-RCC. Carcinogenesis. 2012 Sep;33(9):1717-25.
- Thamboo TP, Soong R, Wong LS, Ahmad B, Lim YC, Teh M. Determination of a molecular signature of acute T-cell-mediated renal allograft rejection using quantitative real-time RT-PCR of 45 genes on a low density array. Pathology. 2011 Jan;43(1):72-5.