Dr Tan graduated from the University of Melbourne in Australia (MBBS) with an honours degree in 2003 and returned to Singapore for his postgraduate training in 2004. He completed his basic specialist training and obtained the Membership of Royal College of Physician MRCP (UK), as well as the Master of Medicine (Singapore) in 2007. Dr Tan received further advanced specialist training in Gastroenterology & Hepatology and was certified by the Specialists Accreditation Board of Singapore in 2011. He further undertook his fellowship and research training in advanced hepatology and transplant hepatology at the Recanati/Miller Transplantation Institute and the Tisch Cancer Institute, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (New York, USA).
Dr Tan’s clinical expertise includes advanced liver diseases, viral hepatitis, fatty liver, liver cirrhosis, liver cancer and liver transplantation, in addition to common digestive diseases and endoscopic procedures. He has authored or co-authored numerous research publications and is the principal investigator for ongoing clinical studies in the field of liver transplantation, immunosuppression and hepatocellular carcinoma. As an Assistant Professor at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine and a core faculty member of the senior residency programme in Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Dr Tan is actively engaged in undergraduate and post-graduate medical education.
Beyond clinical and academic work, Dr Tan is also involved in administrative roles such as Senior Advisor to NUH Medical Board in assisting the hospital with clinical risk management and Deputy Patient Safety Officer in leading quality and safety initiatives within University Medicine Cluster.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS (Hons), MRCP (UK), M.Med (S'pore), FAMS (Gastroenterology)
Awards and Honours
- Top scored poster ILCA 2014
- Academic Medicine Development Award 2013
- National Scholar Award at the United European Gastroenterology Week in 2011
- Tan PS, Nakagawa S, Goossens N, Venkatesh A, Huang T, Ward SC, Sun X, Song W, Koh A, Canasto-Chibuque C, Deshmukh M, Nair V, Mahajan M, Zhang B, Fiel MI, Kobayashi M, Kumada H, Hoshida Y. Clinicopathological indices to predict hepatocellular carcinoma molecular classification. Liver Int. 2015.
- Poh Seng Tan, Badar Muneer, Smruti R. Mohanty, et al. Hepatoma. BMJ Best Practice 2016 Update.
- Poh Seng Tan, Myat Oo Aung, Seng Gee Lim, et al. Liver disease progression and virological response: entecavir rescue still possible in the setting of rtM204I lamivudine resistant mutation. Gut 2012;62(5):801-802.
- Hartono JL, Koh T, Lee GH, Tan PS, Muthiah M, Aw MM, Madhavan K, Kow A, Lim KBL. Predictors of Non-adherence to Immunosuppressive Therapy in Asian Liver Transplant Recipients. Transplant Proc. 2017 Jul - Aug;49(6):1419-1424.
- Taouli B, Hoshida Y, Kakite S, Chen X, Tan P, Sun X, Kihira S, Kojima K, Toffanin S, Fiel MI, Hirschfield H, Wagner M, Llovet JM. Imaging-based surrogate markers of transcriptome subclasses and signatures in hepatocellular carcinoma: preliminary results. Eur Radiol. 2017.
- Miltiadous O, Sia D, Hoshida Y, Fiel MI, Harrington AN, Thung SN, Tan PS, Dong H, Revill K, Chang CY, Roayaie S, Byrne TJ, Mazzaferro V, Rakela J, Florman S, Schwartz M, Llovet JM. Progenitor cell markers predict outcome of patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma beyond Milan criteria undergoing liver transplantation. J Hepatol. 2015 Jul 25. pii: S0168-8278(15)00516-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jhep.2015.07.025.
- King LY, Canasto-Chibuque C, Johnson K, Yip S, Chen X, Kojima K, Deshmukh M, Venkatesh A, Tan P, Sun X, Villanueva A, Sangiovanni A, Nair V, Mahajan M, Kobayashi M, Kumada H, Iavarone M, Colombo M, Fiel MI, Friedman SL, Llovet JM, Chung RT, Hoshida Y. A genomic and clinical prognostic index for hepatitis C-related early-stage cirrhosis that predicts clinical deterioration. Gut 2014.
- SG Lee GH, Lim K, Tan PS. RESISTANCE IS NO LONGER A PROBLEM WITH ENTECAVIR AND TENOFOVIR. Current Hepatitis Reports 2013.
Updated as of 15 January 2019