Professor John Wong
Senior Consultant , Department of Haematology-Oncology, National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS)
A medical oncologist-haematologist, Dr Wong obtained his MBBS from NUS and did his residency and fellowship at the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr Wong jointly founded the Cancer Therapeutics Research Group (CTRG), a multi-national consortium of nine institutions. He is a member of the International Education Council for Molecular Targeted Therapy for Cancer, has served on the American Society of Clinical Oncology International Affairs Committee, has been a faculty member of the International Oncology Foundation Advisory Board as well as several American Association for Cancer Research meetings on translational cancer research.
Education and Fellowships
M.B.B.S. (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery)
American Board of Internal Medicine
- Diplomate, Internal Medicine, 1988
- Diplomate, Subspecialty Board of Hematology, 1990
- Diplomate, Subspecialty Board of Medical Oncology, 1991
- Breast Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
Awards and Honours
- 2016 – Public Administration Medal (Gold), Singapore National Day Awards
- 2015 – Long Service Medal, Singapore National Day Awards
- 2014 – President’s Science & Technology Medal
- 2013 - Outstanding Service Award, National University of Singapore
- 2011 - Friend of MedSoc Award 2011, NUS Medical Society
- 2011 - SMA Lecture 2010
- 2010 - Sass Foundation Award, Sass Foundation for Medical Research, in conjunction with MD Anderson Cancer Center
- 2009 - National Outstanding Clinician Award, 2009 National Medical Excellence Awards, Ministry of Health
- 2008 - Fellow, American College of Physicians
- 2005 - Public Administration Medal (Silver), Singapore National Day Awards
- 2005 - Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, London
- 1999 - Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh
- 1996 - Fellow, Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- 1983 - Special Letter of Commendation, Singapore Armed Forces
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Association of Cancer Research
- Singapore Society of Oncology
- Singapore Society of Hematology
- Singapore Medical Association – Life Membership from 2011
- Global Implementation of Genomic Medicine:We Are Not Alone. Teri A. Manolio, Marc Abramowicz, Fahd Al-Mulla, Warwick Anderson, Rudi Balling, Adam C. Berger, Steven Bleyl, Aravinda Chakravarti, Wasun, Chantratita, Rex L. Chisholm, Vajira H. W. Dissanayake, Michael Dunn, Victor J. Dzau, Bok-Ghee Han, Tim Hubbard, Anne Kolbe, Bruce Korf, Michiaki Kubo, Paul Lasko, Erkki Leego, Surakameth Mahasirimongkol, Partha P. Majumdar, Gert Matthijs, Howard L. McLeod, Andres Metspalu, Pierre Meulien, Satoru Miyano, Yaakov Naparstek, P. Pearl O’Rourke, George P. Patrinos, Heidi L. Rehm, Mary V. Relling, Gad Rennert, Laura Lyman Rodriguez, Dan M. Roden, Alan R. Shuldiner, Sukdeb Sinha, Patrick Tan, Mats Ulfendahl, Robyn Ward, Marc S. Williams, John E. L. Wong, Eric D. Green, Geoffrey S. Ginsburg. Science Translational Medicine June 3, 2015; Vol 7 (Issue 290): 1-8.
- In Vivo and In Vitro Studies Suggest a Possible Involvement of HPV Infection in the Early Stage of Breast Carcinogenesis via APOBEC3B Induction. Ohba K, Ichiyama K, Yajima M, Gemma N, Nikaido M, Wu Q, Chong P, Mori S, Yamamoto R, Wong JE, Yamamoto N. PLoS ONE. May2014, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p1-12. 12p. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0097787.
- Impact of older age on presentation, management and outcome of breast cancer in the multi-ethnic Asian population of Singapore. Saxena, N. Hartman, M. Hussain, Z. Pathy, N.B. Iau, P. Lee, S.C. Lee, K.M. Lim, S.E. Wong, J.E.L. Verkooijen, H.M. Journal of Geriatric Oncology. January 2011. Vol 2(1): 50-57.
- Phase I and Biomarker Study of ABT-869, a multiple receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with refractory solid malignancies. Chiung-Ing Wong, Tong-San Koh, Ross Soo, Septian Hartono, Choon-Hua Thng, Evelyn McKeegan, Wei-Peng Yong, Chien-Shing Chen, Soo-Chin Lee, John Wong, Robert Lim, Norita Sukri, Siew-Eng Lim, Ai-Bee Ong, Joyce Steinberg, Neeraj Gupta, Rajendra Pradhan, Rod Humerickhouse, and Boon-Cher Goh. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2009. 27: 4718 – 4726.
- Pharmacogenetics of Breast Cancer Therapy. Sing-Huang Tan, Soo-Chin Lee, Boon-Cher Goh, John Wong. Clinical Cancer Research. 2008. 14: 8027-8041.
- Comparative Evaluation of the Effects of Statins on Human Stem and Cancer Cells In Vitro. Gauthamn K, Richards M, Wong JE, Bongso A. International Journal of Cancer. 2007.
- Identification of novel BRCA large genomic rearrangements in Singapore Asian breast and ovarian patients with cancer. Lim YK, Lau PT, Ali AB, Lee SC, Wong JE, Putti TC, Sng JH. Clin Genet. 2007. 71(4):331-42.
- Drug Development in the Pacific Rim. JE Wong. Clinical Advances in Hematology & Oncology, 2006; 9(4):670-672.
- Genetic Reclassification of Histologic Grade Delineates New Clinical Subtypes of Breast Cancer. Ivshina AV, George J, Senko O, Mow B, Putti TC, Smeds J, Lindahl T, Pawitan Y, Hall P, Nordgren H, Wong JE, Liu ET, Bergh J, Kuznetsov VA, Miller LD. Cancer Research. 2006 Nov 1;66(21):10292-10301.
- The role of the primary-care physicians in oncology care. John EL Wong, The Lancet Oncology, Vol 6(2), 118-122, 2005.
- Therapeutic Strategies in Gastric Cancer. Wong JEL, Ito Y, Correa P, Peeters KCMJ, van de Velde CJH, Sasako M, Macdonald J, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol 21 (December 1 Suppl):267-279, 2003. (IF: 17.793).
- Are patients with cancer receiving adequate treatment for thrombosis? Results from FRONTLINE. John E L Wong, Cancer Treatment Reviews, Vol 29(2), 11-13, 2003.
- Venous thrombosis in cancer patients: Insights from the FRONTLINE survey, Ajay K Kakkar, Mark Levine, HM Pinedo, Robert Wolff, John Wong, The Oncologist, 8:381-388, 2003.
- Docetaxel and carboplatin is an active regimen in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer:a phase II study in Caucasian and Asian patients, M Millward, M Boyer, M Lehnert, S Clarke, D Rischin, BC Goh, J Wong, E McNeil, J Bishop, Annals of Oncology, 14:449-4545, 2003.
- Anticancer Drug Discovery and Development Throughout the World, G. Schwartsmann, M.J. Ratain, G.M. Cragg, J.E. Wong, N. Saijo, D.R. Parkinson, Y. Fujiwara, R. Pazdur, D.J. Newman, R. Dagher, L. Di Leone, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol. 20(18s):47-59, 2002.
- Pathological Features and BRCA1 Mutation Screening in Premenopausal Breast Cancer Patients, Chang J, Hilsenbeck S.G, Sng J-H, Wong J, Ragu G.C., Clinl Can Res, Vol 7, 1739-1742, 2001.
- Breast Cancer in Singapore, Wong JEL JAMA, SEA. 11(6)5-6, 1995.
- Interferon Alpha-2a and Fluorouracil in the Treatment of Patients with Advanced Esophageal Cancer, Kelsen D., Lovett D., Wong J. et al, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 10(2) : 269-274, 1992.
Updated as of 19 September 2017