Professor Aileen Wee graduated from the University of Singapore in 1975 with MBBS. She trained in Histopathology at the Department of Pathology, NUS, and obtained her specialist degree in Histopathology from the Royal Colleges of Pathologists in Australasia and the United Kingdom in 1981 and 1982, respectively. She has been a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases since 1984 and a member of the Laennec Liver Pathology Society since 2008.
Her research interests include fine needle aspiration biopsy of liver, and gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary pathology, including liver transplantation pathology. Professor Wee is a reviewer and advisor on several regional/international journals, has published over 145 articles in peer-reviewed journals and is co-author of several books and book chapters.
Professor Wee organizes regular Diagnostic Cytopathology Workshops and has travelled extensively in the region and internationally to deliver invited lectures at scientific meetings and to conduct cytopathology, hepatobiliary pathology and liver transplantation pathology workshops. She was Director of Undergraduate Pathology Teaching and Phase II Co-ordinator for the medical undergraduate programme at YLLSoM. She was past Chair of the Specialist Training Committee (Pathology) in Singapore and was a member of the Specialist Accreditation Board, Singapore.
Education and Fellowships
MBBS NUS, FRCPath, FRCPA
- Hepatobiliary pathology
- Liver transplantation pathology
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology of liver
- Phase II Co-ordinator, Undergraduate Medical Curriculum, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (till 2012)
- Director of Undergraduate Medical Education, Department of Pathology, YLLSoM (till 2012)
- Course Director, Diagnostic Cytopathology Workshops, NUHS
Awards and Honours
- Teaching Excellence Award, Medical Faculty, 1997-98, National University of Singapore
- Singapore Society of Pathology-Becton Dickinson Award for Pathology, 2009
- Certificate of Commendation for Being a Role Model to the Class of 2014, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Special Recognition Award for being Role Model to the Medicine Graduating Class of 2015, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Wee A and P Sampatanukul. Fine needle aspiration cytology of the liver. Diagnostic Algorithms. A Southeast Asian perspective. Bangkok: Year Book Publisher Co. Ltd, 2004.
- Wee A. Distinction between Well-differentiated Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Benign Hepatocellular Nodular Lesions, using Fine-needle Aspiration Biopsy. In: Handbook of Immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization of Human Carcinomas, Volume 3. Molecular Genetics, Liver Carcinoma, and Pancreatic Carcinoma. Ed. M.A. Hayat, 247-259. Elsevier Academic Press, London, 2005.
- Wee A. In: Bosman FT, Carniero F, Hruban RH, Thiese N (Eds). WHO Classification of Tumours of the Digestive System. IARC: Lyon, 2010.
- Wee A, Sampatanukul P, Jhala N. Cytohistology of Focal Liver Lesions. In: Eds. K Geisinger and MB Pitman. Cytohistology of Small Tissue Samples series. Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Wee A and Pitman MB. Diagnostic Liver Cytology. In: Surgical Pathology of the GI Tract, Liver, Biliary Tract and Pancreas. Eds. R Odze & J Goldblum. Elsevier, 2014.
- Linda D. Ferrell, Sanjay Kakar, Luigi M. Terracciano, Aileen Wee. Tumours and tumour-like Lesions of the Liver. In: MacSween’s Pathology of the Liver, 7th edition. Eds. Alastair D. Burt, Linda D. Ferrell, Stefan G. Hubscher, Elsevier, 2017.
- Sun Y, Zhou JL, Wang L,…..Wee A, Theise ND, You H, Jia JD. New classification of liver biopsy assessment for fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B patients before and after treatment. Hepatology 2017;65:1438-50.
- Hennedige TP, Wang G, Leung FP, ….Wee A, Venkatesh SK. Magnetic resonance elastography and diffusion weighted imaging in the evaluation of hepatic fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B. Gut and Liver, 2017;11:401-8.
- Gupta K, Li Q, Fan JJ, Fong E,……Wee A, Dan YY, ….Yu H. Actomyosin contractility drives bile regurgitation as an early response during obstructive cholestasis. J Hepatol 2017; 66:1231-40.
- Hennedige TP, Hallinan JT, Leung FP, Teo LL, Iyer S, Wang G, Chang S, Madhavan KK, Wee A, Venkatesh SK. Comparison of magnetic resonance elastography and diffusion-weighted imaging for differentiating benign and malignant liver lesions. Eur Radiol 2016; 26: 398-406. EPUD 2015 Jun2.
- Lee GH, Tan BH, Chi-Yuan Teo E, Lim SG, Dan YY, Wee A, Kim Aw, PP, Zhu Y, Hibberd ML, Tan CK, Purdy MA, Teo CG. Chronic Infection with Camelid Hepatitis E Virus in a Liver Transplant Recipient Who Regularly Consumes Camel Meat and Milk. Gastroenterology. 2016; 150(2): 355-357.
- Wee A, Soon G. Review article. Liver transplantation: From a histopathologist’s perspective. Pak Armed Forces Med J 2016; 66(1): 127-135.
- Wee A. Review article. The Many Faces (and Origins) of Adenocarcinoma in the Liver: Pattern Approach to Diagnosis on Small Tissue Samples. Asian Arch Pathol 2015:11:1-25.
- Wee A, Sampatanukul P. Cytohistology of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Diag Histopathol 2015; 12: 470-480.
- Sanjay de Mel, B Wong, L Gole, CB Ng, E Koay, CWS Ng, JE Seet, A Wee, WJ Chng, LK Tan. A rare variant of aggressive T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia associated with hepatic fibrosis and trisomy 8: A case report and literature review. J Hematol 2015; 4(3): 214-218
- Sempoux C, Paradis V, Komuta M, Wee A, Calderaro J, Balabaud C, Quaglia A, Bioulac-Sage P.Hepatocellular nodules expressing markers of hepatocellular adenomas in Budd- Chiari syndrome and other rare hepatic vascular disorders. J Hepatol. 2015 Jun 25. pii: S0168-8278(15)00409-2.
- Justin Wong SB, Wee A, Puhaindran ME, Pang B, Lee VK. Angiomatoid Fibrous Histiocytoma With Prominent Myxoid Stroma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Am J Dermatopathol. 2015 Aug; 37(8): 623-631.
- Hallinan JT, Alsaif HS, Wee A, Venkatesh SK. Magnetic resonance elastography of liver: influence of intravenous gadolinium administration on measured liver stiffness. Abdom Imaging. 2015 Apr; 40(4): 783-788.
- Wee, Aileen. Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Clinicopathologic Features and Differential Diagnosis. Pathology Case Reviews: Nov/Dec 2014 - Vol 19 - Issue 6 - p 297–304.
- Wee A. Cytopathology: ss06-1 A well-differentiated hepatocellular nodular lesion in the liver of a woman. Pathology. 2014 Oct; 46 suppl 2: S9.
- Wee A. Hepatobiliary/pancreas pathology: sy11-4 Cytohistology of focal liver lesions with glandular features: approach and pitfalls. Pathology. 2014 Oct; 46 suppl 2: S25.
- Wee A. Hepatobiliary/pancreas pathology: sc11-1 Liver pathology algorithms for the non-specialist: diffuse liver pathology. Pathology. 2014 Oct; 46 suppl 2: S22-3.
- Wee A. Hepatobiliary/pancreas pathology: sc11-1 Liver pathology algorithms for the non-specialist: case studies. Pathology. 2014 Oct; 46 suppl 2: S22.
- Xu S, Wang Y, Tai DC, Wang S, Cheng CL, Peng Q, Yan J, Chen Y, Sun J, Liang X, Zhu Y, Rajapakse JC, Welsch RE, So PT, Wee A, Hou J, Yu H. qFibrosis: a fully-quantitative innovative method incorporating histological features to facilitate accurate fibrosis scoring in animal model and chronic hepatitis B patients. J Hepatol. 2014 Aug; 61(2): 260-269.
- Venkatesh SK, Xu S, Tai D, Yu H, Wee A. Correlation of MR elastography with morphometric quantification of liver fibrosis (Fibro-C-Index) in chronic hepatitis B. Magn Reson Med. 2014 Oct; 72(4): 1123-1129.
- Venkatesh SK, Wang G, Lim SG, Wee A. Magnetic resonance elastography for the detection and staging of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B. Eur Radiol. 2014 Jan; 24(1): 70-78.
- Balabaud C, Al-Rabih WR, Chen PJ, Evason K, Ferrell L, Hernandez-Prera JC, Huang SF, Longerich T, Park YN, Quaglia A, Schirmacher P, Sempoux C, Thung SN, Torbenson M, Wee A, Yeh MM, Yeh SH, Le Bail B, Zucman-Rossi J, Bioulac-Sage P. Focal Nodular Hyperplasia and Hepatocellular Adenoma around the World Viewed through the Scope of the Immunopathological Classification. Int J Hepatol. 2013; 2013: 268625.
- Wee A. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of malignant mass lesions in the liver: a revisit of diagnostic profiles and challenges. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2013 Mar; 4(1): 5-7.
- Lee YM, Low HC, Lim LG, Dan YY, Aung MO, Cheng CL, Wee A, Lim SG, Ho KY. Intragastric balloon significantly improves nonalcoholic fatty liver disease activity score in obese patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a pilot study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Oct; 76(4): 756-760.
- Xu S, Tai D, Wee A, Welsch R, So P, Yu H, Rajapakse J. Automated scoring of liver fibrosis through combined features from different collagen groups. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011; 2011: 4503-6.
- Jhala D, Wee A, Tse G, Baloch Z. Fine-needle aspiration cytology: an advancing horizon. Patholog Res Int. 2011; 2011: 281930.
- Wee A. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of hepatocellular carcinoma and related hepatocellular nodular lesions in cirrhosis: controversies, challenges, and expectations. Patholog Res Int. 2011; 2011: 587936.
- Wee A. Review: Fine needle aspiration biopsy of hepatocellular carcinoma and hepatocellular nodular lesions: role, controversies and approach to diagnosis. Cytopathology, 2011; 22(5): 287-305.
- Wee EW, Lim SG, Wee A, Chai LY. Disseminated histoplasmosis presenting as fever and jaundice. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2009 Aug; 38(8): 739-740.
- Tai DC, Tan N, Xu S, Kang CH, Chia SM, Cheng CL, Wee A, Wei CL, Raja AM, Xiao G, Chang S, Rajapakse JC, So PT, Tang HH, Chen CS, Yu H. Fibro-C-Index: comprehensive, morphology-based quantification of liver fibrosis using second harmonic generation and two-photon microscopy. J Biomed Opt. 2009 Jul-Aug; 14(4): 044013.
- Lee YM, Sutedja DS, Wai CT, Dan YY, Aung MO, Zhou L, Cheng CL, Wee A, Lim SG. A randomized controlled pilot study of Pentoxifylline in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). Hepatol Int. 2008 Jun; 2(2): 196-201.
- Dorajoo RS, Pereira BP, Yu Z, Gopalakrishnakone P, Leong CC, Wee A, Lee E. Role of multi-drug resistance-associated protein-1 transporter in statin-induced myopathy. Life Sci. 2008 Apr 9; 82(15-16): 823-830.
- Wong RK, Lim SG, Wee A, Chan YH, Aung MO, Wai CT. Primary biliary cirrhosis in Singapore: evaluation of demography, prognostic factors and natural course in a multi-ethnic population. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Apr; 23(4): 599-605.
- Ho KY, Cheng J, Wee A, Soo KC. Primary malignant melanoma of the esophagus with multiple esophageal lesions. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007 Mar; 4(3): 171-4.
- Lim LG, Cheng CL, Wee A, Lim SG, Lee YM, Sutedja DS, Da Costa M, Prabhakaran K, Wai CT.Prevalence and clinical associations of posttransplant fatty liver disease. Liver Int. 2007 Feb; 27(1): 76-80.
- Salto-tellez, M, M E Nga, H C Han, A Wong, C K Lee, D B A NUR, M Ho, A Wee, S S Ng and R Soong. Tissue Microarrays Characterize the Clinical Significance of a VEGF-A Protein Expression Signature in Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors. British Journal of Cancer 2007; 96(5): 776-782.
- Lim, S G, C T Wai, Y M Lee, Y Y Dan, D S Sutedja, A Wee, S Suresh, J W Ying, D Machin, C C Lim, K M Fock, E S C Koay, S Bowden, S Locarnini and S M Ishaque. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of thymosin-alpha1 and lymphoblastoid interferon for HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B. Antiviral Therapy, 2006; 11(2): 245-253.
- Low, H C, M Da Costa, K Prabhakaran, M Kaur, A Wee, S G Lim and C T Wai. Impact of new legislation on presumed consent on organ donation on liver transplant in Singapore: A preliminary analysis. Transplantation, 2006; 82(9): 1234-1237.
- Wee A. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of the liver: Algorithmic approach and current issues in the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cytojournal, 2005; 2(7).
Updated as of 27 October 2017