Senior Consultant, Department of Diagnostic Imaging, NUH
Distinguished Professor, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Professor Lee graduated from Washington University School of Medicine (USA) in 1973. He completed his residency training at Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology and joined the faculty in 1977. He became a full professor in 1986. Prof Lee left Washington University in 1991 for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he served as chair of radiology before relinquishing his administrative duties in 2007.
Prof Lee served as a Visiting Professor at National University of Singapore (2014 – 2016). He now devotes his time to patient care, clinical research and mentoring the next generation of radiology leaders.
Prof Lee is a world-class expert in computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and his primary area of expertise is abdominal imaging.
In the United States and abroad, Prof Lee is known as a pioneer in the clinical utility of CT and MRI of abdominal and pelvic organs. He has written and edited seven major textbooks. His best-known book, Computed Body Tomography with MRI Correlation, is in its fourth edition and was published in 2006. He also has published more than 160 articles in refereed journals.
His research focuses on the comparison between CT and MR imaging for various abdominal and pelvic disorders, and identifies the impact that use of these new technologies can have on patient care.
Prof Lee has also focused on enhancing productivity in academic radiology departments.
He has delivered numerous invited lectures nationally and internationally. He has served leadership positions in many professional radiologic organizations, including the office of president for the Society of Computed Tomography and MRI, the Society of Chairmen of Academic Radiology Departments and the American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS).
Prof Lee received Gold Medal from Asian Oceanian Society of Radiology, ARRS and Society of Computed Body Tomography/MRI. He was the recipient of Washington University School of Medicine Alumni Achievement Award and is an Honorary Member of Korean Society of Radiology as well as Japanese Society of Radiology.
Education and Fellowships
MD (USA), Diplomate, American Board of Radiology, Fellow of American College of Radiology
- Imaging of Gastrointestinal Tract
- Imaging of Genitourinary Tract
- Oncologic Imaging
- Ng SJK, Lee JKT, Thian YL. Cricoid Ridge Ossification Mimicking Ingested Fish Bone On Plain Radiography: Prevalence In Singapore. Singapore Medical Journal (In Press).
- Chiu WHK, Lo AWI, Lee JKT. Leiomyosarcoma of the portal vein: a case report and review of the literature. BJR Case Report Published Online: Dec 12, 2016. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1259/bjrcr.20160125).
- Roy P, Lee JKT, Sheikh A, Lin W. Quantitative comparison of misregistration in abdominal and pelvic organs between PET/MR and PET/CT: Effect of mode of acquisition and type of sequence on different organs. Am J Roentgenol. 2015 Dec; 205: 1295-1305.
- Lee, JKT. Radiology in the Lion City. Radiology. 2015 Sept; 276:632-636.
- Lee JKT. ARRS Presidential Address, “ARRS, your trusted partner in lifelong learning.” AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010 Dec; 195(6):1294-1296.
- Krishnaraj A, Lee JKT, Laws SA, Crawford TJ. Voice recognition software: effect on radiology report turnaround time at an academic medical center. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010 Jul; 195(1):194-7.
- Shin YM, Lee JKT, Turan N, Chong WK, Mauro D. Computed Tomography appearance of ovarian cysts with hyperenhancing rim during the menstrual cycle of women in different ages. J Computed Assist Tomogr. 2010 Jul; 34(4):532-536.
- Lee JKT. Quality--a radiology imperative: interpretation accuracy and pertinence. J Am Coll Radiol. 2007 Mar; 4(3): 162 – 165.
- Alderson PO, Bresolin LB, Becker GJ, Thrall JH, Dunnick NR, Hillman BJ, Lee JKT, Nagy EC. Enhancing research in academic radiology departments: recommendations of the 2003 Consensus Conference. Radiology. 2004 Aug; 232(2):405 – 408.
- Warshauer DM, Lee JKT. Imaging manifestations of abdominal sarcoidosis. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004 Jan; 182(1):15 – 28.
- Kanematsu M, Semelka RC, Leonardou P, Mastropasqua M, Lee JKT. Hepatocellular carcinoma of diffuse type: MR imaging findings and clinical manifestations. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2003 Aug; 18(2):189 – 195.
- Grumbach MM, Biller BMK, Braunstein GD, Campbell KK, Carney A, Godley PA, Harris EL, Lee JKT, Oertel YC, Posner MC, Schlechte JA, Wieand HS. Management of the clinically inapparent adrenal mass (“incidentaloma”). Ann Intern Med. 2003 Mar 4;138(5):424 – 429.
- Warshauer DM, Lee JKT, Mauro MA, White II GC. Superior mesenteric vein thrombosis with radiologically occult cause: A retrospective study of 43 cases. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001 Oct; 177(4):837 – 841.
- Federle M, Chezmar J, Rubin DL, Weinreb J, Freeny P, Schmiedl UP, Brown JJ, Borrello JA, Lee JK, Semelka RC, Mattrey R, Dachman AH, Saini S, Harms SE, Mitchell DG, Anderson MW, Halford HH, Bennett WF, Young SW, Rifkin M, Gay SB, Ballerini R, Sherwin PF, Robison RO. Efficacy and safety of mangafodipir trisodium (MnDPDP) injection for hepatic MRI in adults: results of the U.S. Multicenter phase III clinical trials. Efficacy of early imaging. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2000 Nov; 12(5):689 – 701.
- Warshauer DM, Lee JKT. Adult intussusception detected at CT or MR imaging: clinical-imaging correlation. Radiology 1999 Sep; 212(3):853 – 860.
Updated as of 22 June 2017