Dr Mark Puhaindran graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1998, and obtained his specialist accreditation in Hand Surgery in 2007. Following this, he was awarded the Health Manpower Development (HMDP) Award and did a fellowship in musculoskeletal oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, USA. He has been practising Hand Surgery and Musculoskeletal Oncology at the National University Hospital since completing his fellowship, and has a particular interest in nerve tumours and tumours that affect the upper extremity. He has written several papers and book chapters on tumours of the musculoskeletal system. Dr Puhaindran is actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, and has been an invited speaker at both local and regional conferences.
Some of his recent publications include:
1. Chen Y, Xu L, Mayakonda A, Huang ML, Kanojia D, Tan TZ, Dakle P, Lin RY, Ke XY, Said JW, Chen J, Gery S, Ding LW, Jiang YY, Pang A, Puhaindran ME, Goh BC, Koeffler HP. Bromodomain and extraterminal proteins foster the core transcriptional regulatory programs and confer vulnerability in liposarcoma. Nat Commun. 2019 Mar 22;10(1):1353.
2. Bellot GL, Dong X, Lahiri A, Sebastin SJ, Batinic-Haberle I, Pervaiz S, Puhaindran ME. MnSOD is implicated in accelerated wound healing upon Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT): A case in point for MnSOD mimetics as adjuvants for wound management. Redox Biol. 2019 Jan;20:307-320.
3. Foo TL, Yak R, Puhaindran ME. Peripheral Nerve Lymphomatosis. J Hand Surg
Asian Pac Vol. 2017 Mar;22(1):104-107.
4. Salunke AA, Chen Y, Chen X, Tan JH, Singh G, Tai BC, Khin LW, Puhaindran ME. Does pathological fracture affect the rate of local recurrence in patients with a giant cell tumour of bone?: a meta-analysis. Bone Joint J. 2015 Nov;97-B(11):1566-71.
5. Salunke AA, Chen Y, Tan JH, Chen X, Foo TL, Gartner LE, Puhaindran ME. Intramuscular schwannoma: clinical and magnetic resonance imaging features. Singapore Med J. 2015 Oct;56(10):555-7
6. Salunke AA, Chen Y, Tan JH, Chen X, Khin LW, Puhaindran ME. Does a pathological fracture affect the prognosis in patients with osteosarcoma of the extremities? : a systematic review and meta-analysis. Bone Joint J. 2014 Oct;96-B(10):1396-403.
7. Gan AW, Puhaindran ME, Pho RW. The reconstruction of large bone defects in the upper limb. Injury. 2013 Jan 19. S0020-1383
8. Puhaindran ME, Rohde RS, Chou J, Morris CD, Athanasian EA. Clinical outcomes for patients with soft tissue sarcoma of the hand. Cancer. 2011 Jan 1;117(1):175-9.
9. Puhaindran ME, Athanasian EA. Malignant and metastatic tumors of the hand. J Hand Surg Am. 2010 Nov;35(11):1895-900;.