As a general surgeon specializing in gastrointestinal surgery, Prof Ti has had decades of experience in the surgical treatment of cancers of the oesophagus, stomach, colo-rectum, liver, pancreas, breast and thyroid.
Prof Ti started his career in academic surgery in 1971 at the University of Malaya. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 1976 and Head of Department in 1978. In 1979 he joined the University of Singapore as Associate Professor. He was made full Professor in 1988, and head the newly created Division of Gastro-intestinal Surgery at the National University Hospital (1987-1999).
His sabbatical studies abroad include stints at Universities of Utah, Pittsburgh, Cambridge and Melbourne. Prof Ti has also received professional awards of FRACS in 1980, FRCSE (Ad Hominum) in 1993 and Emeritus Consultant of NUH in 2004.
His biography is documented in Marquis "Who is who in the World" 2011. Prof Ti has reported his surgical research in over a hundred publications. His clinical studies have provided guidance in the choice of operative procedures for patients with gastro-intestinal diseases in Singapore.
Prof Ti was awarded a doctorate for his thesis on peptic ulcer disease. Using a micro-analytical technique, the chemical composition of gallbladder and bile duct stones in Singapore patients was identified. His animal studies include devising a primate model for biliary- pancreatic reflux and techniques of liver transplantation in pigs and dogs.In addition to his university teaching activities, Prof Ti has planned the surgical curriculum and organized post-graduate and refresher courses for general practitioners.
On several occasions, Prof Ti served as external examiner for the Universities of Malaya, Kebangsaan Malaysia and University Science Malaysia. He has continued to examine at the combined Master of Medicine (Surgery) and the FRCSE since its inception.Specializing in upper gastrointestinal surgery,
Prof Ti has built up expertise in open surgery for oesophageal cancer, stricture, gastric cancer and peptic ulcer disease and pioneered bariatric surgery in Singapore. Prof Ti's decades of experience as a general surgeon include managing colorectal cancer, hepato-biliary and pancreatic diseases, breast cancer and thyroid diseases.
He continues to be actively involved in the surgical management of acute abdominal emergencies and is currently editing a book on its multimodality management.
1. Ti, T K, "Radical surgery for gastric cancer in Singapore". Surgery Today—The Japanese Journal of Surgery, 25 (1995): 573-578
2. Ti, T K, Pattern and surgical treatment of gastric cancer in Singapore. British Journal of Surgery, 80 (1993): 886-889
3. Ti T K, "Radical surgery for gastric and oesophageal cancer—a Singapore experience". Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh. 31(1986):277-281
4. Ti. T K, "Oesophageal carcinoma associated with corrosive injury—prevention and treatment by oesophageal resection. British Journal of Surgery, 67 (1980):798-800. Also abstracted in German, Extracta Gastroenterologica , 10 (1981);211-2.
5. Ti, T K, "Five year survival following surgery for colo-rectal cancer. A Singapore Experience", Singapore Medical Journal, (1993): 391-321
6. Ti, T K, A Rauff and H S Goh, "Anterior resection using the circular stapling instrument---a Singapore experience. Australian and New Zealand Journal of surgery, 56,(1986): 919-22
7. Ti T K, "Liver resection for malignancy". CME Review, 4 (1994)71-4
8. Ti, T K, and N K Yong, "Combination cancer chemotherapy—a clinical trial on outpatients". Medical Journal of Malaysia, 28 (1974): 165-70