Cancer genetics service has been offered by the NCIS since 2001. The cancer genetics service provides genetic counselling to individuals with a personal and/or family history of cancer. Most cancers occur by chance. However, a small percentage of cancers are caused by an inherited gene mutation, or are hereditary. Identifying a genetic predisposition to cancer allows patients and their families to personalise cancer screening guidelines, medical care and treatment options.
The NCIS Engage WhatsApp Bot makes it easy for you to learn more about Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Syndrome (HBOC) prior to your visit with us. Go ahead and tap the button below to launch the Bot on WhatsApp.
You will need to greet Angie the Bot by typing "hello".
ENGAGE WhatsApp Bot
Patients referred to the cancer genetics service are evaluated and counselled individually or with their family members. During each new consultation, the patient's cancer and family histories are evaluated and an assessment is done.
Patients suspected of having a genetic predisposition of a particular genetic syndrome are counselled on the following:
If genetic testing is indicated, blood can usually be drawn on the same day following the counselling session.
Our cancer genetics team is committed to providing comprehensive clinical genetic services, education and support to patients and their family members.
The cancer genetics service is directed by Dr Lee Soo Chin, a Medical Oncologist trained in cancer genetics at the John Hopkins University School of Medicine, USA, and was credentialed in 'Familial cancer risk assessment and management' by the Institute for Clinical Evaluation in the USA.
Prof Lee Soo Chin
Department of Haematology-Oncology
here for her full profile.
here for his full profile.
Ms Ong Pei Yi
Cancer Genetics Counselor
Click on the individual listing for more information.
1. Health Matters – AI Chatbot for Genetic Counselling
2. Meet Angie, the WhatsApp chatbot for women at risk of hereditary breast cancer
CNA Lifestyle, 28 October 2021
3. 国大癌症中心与初创公司合作 推出聊天机器人解答遗传性乳癌等问题 (NCIS partners startup to launch chatbot that answers questions on hereditary breast cancer)
Lianhe Zaobao, 28 October 2021, Page 12
4. Singapore-developed chatbot to provide genetic counselling
Computer Weekly, 25 October 2021
5. 新加坡推出聊天机器人-解答遗传性乳癌等问题 (Singapore launches chatbot that answers questions on hereditary breast cancer)
Sin Chew Daily, 28 October 2021
6. NCIS creates WhatsApp chatbot for women at risk of hereditary breast cancer
Healthcare Asia magazine, 7 November 2021
7. Meet Angie, the WhatsApp chatbot for women at risk of hereditary breast cancer
The Bharat Express News, 28 October 2021
8. Meet Angie, the WhatsApp chatbot for women at risk of hereditary breast cancer
The Singapore Time, 28 October 2021
9. Meet Angie, the WhatsApp chatbot for women at risk of hereditary breast cancer
Singapore News Live, 28 October 2021
10. Meet Angie, the WhatsApp chatbot for women at risk of hereditary breast cancer
eHeartland, 28 October 2021
11. Meet Angie, the WhatsApp chatbot for women at risk of hereditary breast cancer
Head Topics Singapore, 28 October 2021
Download the brochure in English here